Discuss Cable routes in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

super

Hi everyone, firstly many thanks for any input and taking time out the day to help.

Ive edited the post to make more clear as some are reading this completely wrong , while others have advised on the point

basically a guy owns a car garage one half the building is the double height garage next to that is an attached office ,above the office the building owner wants to put in a small 1 bed flat.the whole building is owned by the same guy who is leasing out the seperate parts of the building .ive told him to have a new 100amp single phase supply installed by the local supply authorities dedicated to "the flat to be ".I'm struggling to find help on the rules regarding cables which are existing and routed through part of the building to be converted to a flat and feed the office below and the garage inc shared circuits from the office such as a ring main.supplying the office and proposed flat .i will be installing new circuits throughout for the flat and not using any of the existing circuits.

the question is what to do with cables that run through the proposed flat to supply circuits in the office below and garage adjacent

A new solid false floor with sound protection is being installed rendering the old floor void totally inaccessible so I'm not concerned about those cables run in the floor void but circuits such as the ring main which currently supply the "flat to be" and office below can the existing wiring be left in despite running through the walls ,would crimping through the old ring and blanking the old points be suitable whilst removing as much wiring as possible or would the complete circuit need re-routing outside the flat ? That will triple the work needed.to wire the flat itself will be easy but I'm concerned about what to do with the cables running through the walls /under the floors and there's a large section of plastic containment running on a wall attached to and supplying the garages various circuits I proposed a false wall be installed to make the containment then outside the actual flat.the owner of the building wants the conversion done as cheap as possible obviously as always.can the existing wiring that runs through the flat supplying the garage and office all be left as is or made inaccessible eg, buried in the walls or will it need rewiring aswell outside the flat? i realise in the ideal world we would re route it all and rewire as required the circuits supplying the other sections of the building but that will be a huge undertaking so was wanting to see opinions and those In The know what the rules are In this circumstance is there anything the regs say about this?

Many thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
If there's a new supply going in for the flat why are you thinking about using the garage's supply for part of it? Or am I picking up something wrongly?

I'm going to wire all new circuits within the flat but , the existing circuits that run via the to be flat that supply the office below and the garage next door I'm not sure what to do with the wiring for those circuits.if I can leave them cables as are or if they would need re routing outside the flat

I'd be looking at rerouting them. Are they going to be within safe zones once the flat is built?
Would you want to live in a place that had conduit running around it? I'm pretty sure I wouldn't.

if its only a small flat, is it not possible to find out where cables from office/garage enter/exit from flat from office/garage . pull back cables from office/garage and reconnect these cables IN office/garage and then run cable from now dead circuits in flat to your new cu . Not knowing the layout or condition of cable etc its hard to put a quick and easy solution to your problem , ie do you want to keep the existing circuits in the flat, are the sockets in or near where you want them,ditto lighting. just a thought.

Does this development have Planning consent?

Given the amount of money and time that will need to be spent to comply with Fire and Noise regs, moving a few cables is nothing.

I believe it's all being done officially to the rules .it would triple the cost of the electrical work to move the cables so was trying to find out if it's somthing that must happen or if there's no rules about it ?

It is very bad practice to have wiring fed via one supply within the bounds of an installation fed by another.

Finding specific regulations may be tricky, but there is one that requires a single main switch to isolate an installation. If your installation contains wiring connected to other sources of supply it could be problematical.

Also any exposed metal connected to the earth of other supplies may well be extraneous parts to your new installation and require main bonding.

I think common sense should be telling you that you should not have an electrical installation supplied from a different source passing through this proposed flat, especially when there is ready access via blanking face plates to removed socket outlets, not to mention potentially ''Free Electricity'' for a switched on tenant!! lol!! All sorts of other things to think about here too, such as two equipotential zones etc...

So triple the cost or not, the new apartment must be separated/isolated from the other existing garage electrical installations!!

If you need a reg to point to, your choices range from segregation of circuits through to avoiding nuisance tripping. Also, if you *don't* change the layout, you'll still need to fit a 30mA RCD for the domestic outlets which means by default the outlets in the garage will also be under it......the word "Welder" suddenly springs to mind.....

If you need a reg to point to, your choices range from segregation of circuits through to avoiding nuisance tripping. Also, if you *don't* change the layout, you'll still need to fit a 30mA RCD for the domestic outlets which means by default the outlets in the garage will also be under it......the word "Welder" suddenly springs to mind.....

You totally mis read the topic there

Reply to Cable routes in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net