Discuss Cable runs in woden framed flats. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
The flats we will be working on will have a ceiling construction of easy joists below which will be noise reducing metal suspension bars, double plaster boards, another layer of noise reduction bars and a final layer of plasterboard. The gap between the plasterboards is expected to be 35mm.

Is anybody familiar with this type of ceiling and if so do you wire in the easyjoist or between the two layers of plasterboard, and if the later how do you suspend the cable during first fit? (I am predicting that normal cable clips would just fall out.)

you'll be wiring in the easy joists above all plasterboard. They're not going to stop the plasterboard teams half way through to let the sparks back in to first fix, you'll do first fix, then the plasterboard people will come in, then you'll do second fix.

unless the build's run by idiots.

Yes that's what I thought initially but when I thought about it it does create problems. Where there are lighting cable drops it will be through both sets of plasterboard and will breach not only the soundproofing but also the fire barrier (yes I know about the 74mm2 rule).

AS a secondary thought/question... what happens to downlights? They require 100mm head space, and the "upper" hole would have to be lots bigger than the normal mounting hole. Maybe downlights are out of the question?

Reply to Cable runs in woden framed flats. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

I own a top floor tenement flat that I used to live in and then rented out after I married. It is currently empty whilst some work is being done...
Replies
Views
Hi Everybody Has anybody on here any experience of using a Bosch GMS 120 cable detector? The scenario I have is that I am working on a stone built...
Replies
Views
hello all, hoping someone can give me some advice please. I’m trying to add another socket into the corner of my living room on an outside wall...
Replies
Views
Evening folks. Just out of interest I wondered what methods you guys are using in lofts / attics to keep your cables out of the mountains of...
Replies
Views
Hi, I understand from the wiring regs that if I am to run a cable through a ceiling/floor joist I have to adhere to certain rules to keep it safe...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock