Discuss Cable selection, calculating earth fault loop impedance in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

A

atto2007

Hi guys,

struggling to work this question out and don't seem to be getting a correct answer no matter what cable conductor size i use.

Q. A 230V 14kW domestic electrical cooker, installed in a house is to be supplied by a 15m run of PVC insulated and sheathed cable, clipped to a surface. The cooker control unit has no integral 13A socket. The circuit is to be protected by a BS3036 fuse and the value of external impedance is 0.85 ohms. Calculate the minimum size cable that can be used for this circuit to comply with shock protection.

Ib = 14/230*1000 = 60.87A
In = 100A therefore max Zs = 0.53 ohms. ( i think)

Zs = Ze + [(R1+R2)*mf*L]/1000

Zs = 0.85 + [(1.83)*15] / 1000

Zs = 0.88 ohms ( too high)

using 50mm cable Zs = 0.85 + [0.387*15] / 1000

Zs = 0.86 ohms (still too high)

Feel im missing something obvious.

what he said^^^^. apply diversity and you get a design current of 27A

4mm cable. Let's see how you get there....

Assuming you use a 30A BS 3036 fuse the 80% Zs value is 0.87Ω.

Because of the high Ze, I've worked out you'd need 25mm² for live conductors and cpc to achieve the max Zs

4mm²/1.5mm² = 0.85 + (15 x (16.71 ÷ 1000)) = 1.1Ω (too high)

25mm²/25mm² = 0.85 + (15 x (1.454 ÷ 1000)) = 0.87Ω

The only way around it would be to RCD protect the circuit and rely on the RCD for earth fault protection as max Zs would then become 1667Ω. This way you could use 4mm² cable as you suggested.

my 27A came about because i use 1/3 remainder, 51/3 = 27 ( can't be arsed using one of them new-fangled abacus thingies with all them stupid buttons )

Assuming you use a 30A BS 3036 fuse the 80% Zs value is 0.87Ω.

Because of the high Ze, I've worked out you'd need 25mm² for live conductors and cpc to achieve the max Zs

4mm²/1.5mm² = 0.85 + (15 x (16.71 ÷ 1000)) = 1.1Ω (too high)

25mm²/25mm² = 0.85 + (15 x (1.454 ÷ 1000)) = 0.87Ω

The only way around it would be to RCD protect the circuit and rely on the RCD for earth fault protection as max Zs would then become 1667Ω. This way you could use 4mm² cable as you suggested.

Fair enough. I had it in my head for some reason (think it was the wine plus the statement of no socket outlet) that I was looking at a 5 sec disconnection time, hence I had allowed 2.0 ohms (OSG).
I now see the error of my ways.... :sad_smile:

Note to self...No posts after the first glass....

Last edited:
Q. A 230V 14kW domestic electrical cooker, installed in a house is to be supplied by a 15m run of PVC insulated and sheathed cable, clipped to a surface. The cooker control unit has no integral 13A socket. The circuit is to be protected by a BS3036 fuse and the value of external impedance is 0.85 ohms. Calculate the minimum size cable that can be used for this circuit to comply with shock protection.

Protection against electric shock we can assume in this case to be automatic disconnection of supply. Therefore we are concerned with Zs being appropriate to the protective device.
The Ze you are given is very high at 0.85 ohms, this is not considered suitable for a TN system, however the questions does not identify the earthing system. Assuming a TN system, disconnection time <=0.4s for a load less than 32A.

14000W at 230V gives a current of 60.87A, using diversity for a cooking appliance 10+((I-10)*0.3) gives a design current Ib of 25.26A.

Using Ib<In a 30A fuse is required.

Maximum Zs for a 30A BS3036 fuse is 1.09 ohms (at normal operating temperature).
Correcting for ambient temperature (0.8 rule of thumb or value in OSG) gives 0.9 ohms max Zs.

Your external resistance (Ze) is 0.85 ohms therefore the internal circuit (15m of PVC cable) must have an ambient temperature resistance of <= (0.9-0.85) <= 0.05 ohms.
Therefore resistance of the circuit cable = 0.05/15*1000 = 3.33 mhoms/metre
Using R1+R2 values from OSG the smallest cable with an R1+R2 value <=3.33 mohms / metre is 16mm line conductor and 10mm protective conductor. Since twin and earth comes with a 6mm CPC, you would need to use 16mm 3 core cable.

The result of this calculation tends to lead me to believe that there is an error in the question as some of the information is not required and some information is not given.

Reply to Cable selection, calculating earth fault loop impedance in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock