Discuss cable separation in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

N

Nicktendo64

Hi everyone. I have been asked to find out a minimum separation distance for a RG59 coaxial cable and mains cables.
The job that is has come up on is a CCTV installation running up a pipe with fibre cables on one side, the RG59 cable on the other side and 2 mains cables running through the middle. Im not sure on the size of the pipe as i havent seen this job yet.
I have looked around the web for answers but nothing has come up yet, if any of you can help it will be greatly appreciated.
Cheers
Nick

I think that around 300mm is enough in a typical domestic house. At end of day it all depends on the amount of cables that are being run and the amperage draw. If you have a low amperage circuit it is less likely to effect the transmission of data due to the magnetic field encured. If you have lots of cable bunced or run on a cable tray etc the fields around the cables all gather together and create a large magnetic field, and then greater distances need to be considered.

Hope this helps and not confusing.

Page 62 OSG gives guidance on mains cables and phone cables which is 50mm.

However, cant find anything on RG & fibres.

Best have a look at a cables manufacturers website.

Check out Appendix I in IEE Guidance Note 1
It says
screened IT cable and screened power cable (ie armoured) do not need separating for EMC reasons

Also
unscreened power eg T&E and screened IT, the separation is 50mm - again for EMC reasons.
Segregation of voltage bands overrides this as per regs

Last edited:
I can't see the fibres needing any separation if you don't want to, as they are non conductive and you cant introduce an emf into them. As far as the RG59 is concerned if you use a cable with 230V rated insulation and screening you could run it with the power cables. As a rule we separate them but if you cant you must make sure they are 230V rated and screened.

If the cable is screened will give you a difference as to the degree of seperation.

I have in specs we have worked on 100mm min running parrallel any above this is a bonus, and it does not matter about crossing any mains as this is usually unavoidable anyway.

I have in specs we have worked on 100mm min running parrallel any above this is a bonus, and it does not matter about crossing any mains as this is usually unavoidable anyway.

The last job we were on doing fibres and comms they demanded 100mm seperation from power cables, 75mm from control cabling and when you had to cross you were only allowed to cross at 90 degrees. It was MoD spec which is way over whats required.

Reply to cable separation in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock