Discuss Cable size for radial circuit in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

Marcus1

I am looking at putting in a new dual fuel cooker, what I need to know is what size cable is needed for a radial circuit. The appliance has a rating of 5.7kw and the length of cable would be approx 11m. Also what size circuit breaker? I know the appliance draws around 25A.

just ask the qualified electrician who will be installing it and providing you with the installation certificate, i am quite sure he will have cable calcs done for you.

Hi Markus welcome to the forum

It would be pretty easy just to tell you that 25 amps and 4mm cable and 32amp protection device and that would be it.

And pretty sure you would go merrily on your way. Unfortunately in this day and age we also have to point out several other things that need to be done legally

Your in Wales so this work is notifiable through the building control which is very expensive. You also need to certificate this new circuit and in order to do that you need calibrated test equipment, and an understanding on how to test the circuit and how to complete the certification.

Today I would recommend that you have someone do the job for you. It would most likely be half a days work, if you did the wall chasing for the sparks it would be cheaper and you would most likely find that for the cost of the Part P registration, the sparks will do the job, certificate it for you etc

Reason for asking is that it is a timber framed house which I had built, there is a 2.5mm radial for the old cooker allready there but I thought it was a bit too small for the new load. It will be right bugger of a job to get a new cable to the kitchen so until I can find an easy way it will be on hold for a while. Thanks anyway.

Getting the cable their is always the biggest part of the job but as the other guys have said you would need to get in touch with building control and it will be cheaper to get a sparks in who is part p

Malcolm is right about the cable size, however if you let an electrician get it I bet he sticks a 6mm2 pvc/pvc cable in :biggrinjester:

looking at the cable sizing regs... 2.5mm twin and earth, 18,5a in the wall, 27 amps when clipped direct.
5.7kW is roughly 25amps, and thats when cooker works on full power all hobs and oven on.

depends how is the old cable placed,( insulated walls are a big no)
but may be about right, especially if putting a new cable is a right pain in the back.
to be sure connect it, run the cooker full power and have a good inspection on the cable if is not getting too hot.

to be on good side of the regs stick it on a 20amp breaker and try to avoid all hobs on.

Last edited:
Problem is walls are insulated so looks like is defo a non starter, it has 2 electric ovens and a grill. In all probability the grill may never be used or if it was it wouldn't be with both ovens in action. I think it best if I can't run a cable go for a gas range instead.

Reply to Cable size for radial circuit in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net