SuperlecDirect - ElectriciansForums.net Electrical Suppliers
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members
Advertisement - Content continues below

Discuss Cable to outbuilding in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

johntom

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

Hi
i've been to look at a job today that involves power and lighting to a brick outbuilding (my first outside job). The outbuilding is 1 meter from the main house. There is already a 2.5mm cable coming through the main house wall at a height of 7' which then goes into the outbuilding for the socket (accross the 1 meter span). Is this acceptable or do i need to replace with swa or should/can i use 2.5mm in conduit etc?

Test Meter - Forum Sponsors since 2007!
You can use 2.5mm T&E as long as the cable has some form of mechanical protectiion. i.e conduit etc

M

Mac

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Agree with notabrightspark.Add a fused spur for the lighting and remember to change the fuse to a 3 amp

J

johntom

Hi
Why a fused spur for the lights ? could you explain ?
also is plastic conduit acceptable?

J

johntom

Hi
are you saying that you can use 2.5mm from the CU to the outbuilding then (via a 3amp fused spur) power the lighting circuit in addition to the radial ( all from the 16amp in the cu) or am i miss reading this?
I had proposed to run a 1.5 and a 2.5 from separate mcb's for the 2 circuits.
thanks for you help

Last edited by a moderator:
You could run the T&E into a small CU in the garage via a fused spur, and run your lighting and sockets from the CU.

F

fanta

Are we forgetting earth leakage protection here ????????????????????????????

K

KFORDHUNTER

I would suggest running the 2.5mm from the house to the outbuilding in a conduit, or change it for swa to offer mechanical protection, protect using an rcd from the property. Install seperate c/u in outbuilding comprising of 16a radial and 6a lighting, only need mcbs in outbuilding.

Or you can give them my number and i will have a look at it for them, having to explain a job like this on here fills me with dread every time, are you a member of any organinsations niceic etc

J

johntom

Hi
yes i'm a member of an organisation and yes i fully understand the procedure you have highlighted. I was just interested in the post about using the fuse spur with lights and power as it seemed to suggest running them both from 1 supply. Forums like this are a helpful learning tool for many people - i am sure you had to learn !

A

alland1979

If you are getting paid to do a job do it right, 4mm Swa to a 2 way splitter then run your lights from a 5a mcb and your socket from a 20 and protect them with a 32 amp mcb from the house.

M

Mac

If you are getting paid to do a job do it right, 4mm Swa to a 2 way splitter then run your lights from a 5a mcb and your socket from a 20 and protect them with a 32 amp mcb from the house.
He maybe on a budget and i don't see why as the 2.5 T&E is already there in the outbuilding he can't utilise that.;)

uHeat Banner - Forum Discount Available

Reply to Cable to outbuilding in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Bulk Workwear - Clothing Suppliers for the Whole Forum Network
Top Bottom