Discuss Cable tracers in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
What works in your experience?

Have been presented a basket case of a high spec finished new build house to find some missing ends, above ceilings etc

used a metrel 2093 https://www.metrel.co.uk/uk/shop/EIS/other-instruments-adapters-accessories/mi-2093.html for years but have always found using it a bit of a black art, sometimes it works and other times its about as helpful as a hammer made of ice cream. It probably works great in theory/or like so many light fixture designs on the manufacturers unrealistic test bench, but once you add in the likes of earthed metalworks, foil backed plasterboard, target cable in a bundle of powered/earthed conductors can all screen/scatter the signal.

The martinadale CD1000 Martindale CD1000 Cable Detector Kit - https://www.tester.co.uk/martindale-cd1000-cable-detector-kit?gclid=Cj0KCQjw_ez2BRCyARIs looks bells and whistles impressive but has anyone used the thing in anger? have just replaced a 4 year old martindale MFT so not the biggest brand fan.

or any other recommends, TIA.

I've got the Fluke cable tracer and can comfortably say its been out of its box about 5 times in the last 7-8yrs :tearsofjoy: always found it pretty good when it has seen the light of day.

Last edited:
Thanks, link is broken but I can see the fluke 2042. Bit pricy to take a punt on and on spec broadly similar what I have... You can't say how it performs when the target cable is in a high earthed metalwork environment, e.g. Behind other circuits, above a ceiling of metal grid structure or basket tray?

Reply to Cable tracers in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net