Discuss Cable type question in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

I will be getting a new electric fire which operates at 1 or 2 kw's in a few days (dimplex oakhurst) to replace old gas fire. As new fire power cable is only 1.5 mtr (so I'm told) I will need just under a extra 2 mtrs of cable to reach plug socket.

Will Nexans 3183Y White 3 core Multi-core cable 2.5mm² and a 13 amp terminal connector from B&Q be suitable to join cable from fire to extra cable?

Lister1987

-
Trainee
Esteemed
Reaction score
I will be getting a new electric fire which operates at 1 or 2 kw's in a few days (dimplex oakhurst) to replace old gas fire. As new fire power cable is only 1.5 mtr (so I'm told) I will need just under a extra 2 mtrs of cable to reach plug socket.

Will Nexans 3183Y White 3 core Multi-core cable 2.5mm² and a 13 amp terminal connector from B&Q be suitable to join cable from fire to extra cable?
There is the old argument that by changing the cable to a longer length you're invalidating warranty but it shouldn't be an issue, if the item is Class II then you can go for 3182 (2 core). Ideally would be a heat resistant version 318*TQ I think (replace * with number of cores)

Taylortwocities

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Can you provide a link to a BS1363 plug that accepts 2.5mm flex?
I’m not sure about the
1.5mm cable is the largest allowed in a 13A plug
statement. But it’s quite difficult to get the larger flex to sit right in most plugs, and the terminal size makes trying to jam the larger 2.5mm conductors a tricky thing.

Really 1.5mm is plenty for this job. As the Walker Brothers said “Make it easy on yourself”

OP
B
Reaction score
Good Morning folk's, many thanks for your responses, I've sourced the cable that Lister 1987 suggested above version 318*TQ at Screwfix, Taylortwocities is correct on the type of terminal connector (pictured in his post above) that I intended to use above.

Last question, should the wire strands be soldered before connecting to plugs or will twisting strands with fingers or pliers be just as good?
TBH I've usually just twisted strands together for the past 60 years on mains plugs and 12v cars without any problems?

Intoelectrics

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Provision shall be made for the entry and effective clamping without bending of 2-core and 3-core flexible cords for rewirable plugs as given in Table 11, Table 12, Table 13, Table 26 and Table 27 of BS 6500:2000, having nominal conductor cross-sectional areas not exceeding 1.5 mm2.

extracted from BS 1363-1:1995 and A4:2012
So the old, jam in a 2.5mm 3 core flex cable along with a cut down 6mm bolt as a fuse into a plug top is not an option then?
Joking aside, I have come across such things many times especially on things like welders etc...

pc1966

Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
For most jobs using normal plugs and connectors simply twisting the strands together modestly is fine.

As above, do not solder wire that is used for screw terminals as it creeps with time becoming lose (if fact the wiring regs cover that somewhere).

If you do a lot of this (unlikely) or are using fine stranded wire in terminals that are intended for coarse stranded (7 strands) or single-strand then a "bootlace ferrule" is the answer. For typical 13A plugs and accessories the uninsulated sort are best, as the ones with the plastic shroud take up too much space. While you can get tools covering a huge range of prices, the self-adjusting kits from the likes of eBay/Amazon are your best bet. For example:
Mostly the are kits include the insulated ones, you can snap the colour-coded plastic bit off if you don't want to buy a pack of uninsulated ferrules.

Reply to Cable type question in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net