Discuss Cable type question in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I will be getting a new electric fire which operates at 1 or 2 kw's in a few days (dimplex oakhurst) to replace old gas fire. As new fire power cable is only 1.5 mtr (so I'm told) I will need just under a extra 2 mtrs of cable to reach plug socket.

Will Nexans 3183Y White 3 core Multi-core cable 2.5mm² and a 13 amp terminal connector from B&Q be suitable to join cable from fire to extra cable?

I will be getting a new electric fire which operates at 1 or 2 kw's in a few days (dimplex oakhurst) to replace old gas fire. As new fire power cable is only 1.5 mtr (so I'm told) I will need just under a extra 2 mtrs of cable to reach plug socket.

Will Nexans 3183Y White 3 core Multi-core cable 2.5mm² and a 13 amp terminal connector from B&Q be suitable to join cable from fire to extra cable?
There is the old argument that by changing the cable to a longer length you're invalidating warranty but it shouldn't be an issue, if the item is Class II then you can go for 3182 (2 core). Ideally would be a heat resistant version 318*TQ I think (replace * with number of cores)

I don’t think the OP is going to disconnect the cable inside the appliance, only going to extend it using additional cable & a connector.
@Bullfinch your plan will be fine. In fact 1.5mm flex would be ok for that load and cable length.

1.5mm cable is the largest allowed in a 13A plug.

easier way to do this would be to buy a 2m extension lead with a single socket on the end, it could be screwed to the wall to keep it out of the way.

Last edited:
How come? I'm sure you can buy 2.5mm extension leads, 25m or so. You can also buy 1.25mm extension leads from B&Q I believe that reach around 50m.
Can you provide a link to a BS1363 plug that accepts 2.5mm flex?

Can you provide a link to a BS1363 plug that accepts 2.5mm flex?
I’m not sure about the
1.5mm cable is the largest allowed in a 13A plug
statement. But it’s quite difficult to get the larger flex to sit right in most plugs, and the terminal size makes trying to jam the larger 2.5mm conductors a tricky thing.

Really 1.5mm is plenty for this job. As the Walker Brothers said “Make it easy on yourself”

Provision shall be made for the entry and effective clamping without bending of 2-core and 3-core flexible cords for rewirable plugs as given in Table 11, Table 12, Table 13, Table 26 and Table 27 of BS 6500:2000, having nominal conductor cross-sectional areas not exceeding 1.5 mm2.

extracted from BS 1363-1:1995 and A4:2012

Good Morning folk's, many thanks for your responses, I've sourced the cable that Lister 1987 suggested above version 318*TQ at Screwfix, Taylortwocities is correct on the type of terminal connector (pictured in his post above) that I intended to use above.

Last question, should the wire strands be soldered before connecting to plugs or will twisting strands with fingers or pliers be just as good?
TBH I've usually just twisted strands together for the past 60 years on mains plugs and 12v cars without any problems?

Provision shall be made for the entry and effective clamping without bending of 2-core and 3-core flexible cords for rewirable plugs as given in Table 11, Table 12, Table 13, Table 26 and Table 27 of BS 6500:2000, having nominal conductor cross-sectional areas not exceeding 1.5 mm2.

extracted from BS 1363-1:1995 and A4:2012
So the old, jam in a 2.5mm 3 core flex cable along with a cut down 6mm bolt as a fuse into a plug top is not an option then?
Joking aside, I have come across such things many times especially on things like welders etc...

I personally wouldn't use 3183TQ as it is rubber sheathed and will yellow and get dirty, get 1.5 3183Y which is pvc.

And do not solder stranded cable. Stranded is flexible. If you tin the strands you will create a solid end which can break off.

Ps with respect- I rather think that you are overthinking a very simple wiring job!

For most jobs using normal plugs and connectors simply twisting the strands together modestly is fine.

As above, do not solder wire that is used for screw terminals as it creeps with time becoming lose (if fact the wiring regs cover that somewhere).

If you do a lot of this (unlikely) or are using fine stranded wire in terminals that are intended for coarse stranded (7 strands) or single-strand then a "bootlace ferrule" is the answer. For typical 13A plugs and accessories the uninsulated sort are best, as the ones with the plastic shroud take up too much space. While you can get tools covering a huge range of prices, the self-adjusting kits from the likes of eBay/Amazon are your best bet. For example:
Mostly the are kits include the insulated ones, you can snap the colour-coded plastic bit off if you don't want to buy a pack of uninsulated ferrules.

Reply to Cable type question in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock