Discuss Cable visible through plaster in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Was doing an EICR and came across this issue was unsure how to code it, a couple sockets within the kitchen area you can see the sort of outlining of the T+E cables in the plaster going up to the sockets. It’s RCD protected but it’s just a bit poor

Without knowing how it was agreed the cables should have been installed then I'm not sure it warrants any code.

Surface cables are allowed, buried cables are allowed, half in/half out whilst unsightly is not non-compliant for an old installation.

Now if it was brand new they would need RCD protection.

But it could have Ben a case of 10mm of plaster on a granite stone wall, the customer may have been quoted to chase out but baulked at the cost.

It's not immediately dangerous so not C1.
It's not potentially dangerous so not C2.
It's an example of not meeting fundamental principles of good workmanship, chapter 1 of the regs, so could reasonably be given a C3, improvement recommended.
I've decided to change my view on this, having reread (for the umpteenth time) Best Practice Guide 4.
'Only items that affect the safety of the installation should be recorded.'
So, although not good workmanship, the safety of the installation is not affected, so no code.

No code,

However, this could be the sort of situation where the client/home owner could be scared or concerned into thinking the installation is unsafe. They see a cable protruding that they think should be buried and may automatically think it's unsafe.

I might be inclined to perhaps make a little note stating that though the buried cable is slightly exposed, this is perfectly acceptable as there is no potential danger and it has no effect on the electrical system's safety or function. That way at least any concerns are dealt with.

Reply to Cable visible through plaster in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net