Discuss cable zones in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

F

fred12

hi ..i recently had to rough out lighting in a 2 bedroom flat ..flat was orig wired in lead covered cable..flat also has flagstone floors in all except 1 rm and nice cornice in most rms..when i wired flat i ran all cables behind skirtings and facings as original ( i no 150mm from ceiling is zone but didnt want to damage cornice and decor was good and client didnt want to much damage ,so new switch beside facing.)building control jobsworth as since turned up and ripped job because off prescribed zones not used.i am fitting rcd board and no regs about zones.depths etc,but this was only pratical way to wire lts(fire hazard before).am i totally wrong about this

Behind skirtings is not a zone mate but I would argue that the 150mm at the top starts from where the cornice/coving whatever you want to call it because no one will do anything with that as it's an original feature.

I won't comment on what you've actually done, let's just say it wouldn't be my way of working.

Reg 522.6.100 refers to what you need to know.

If you knew about the safe zones and chose to run the cables outside of the zones then you should have ensured that they were mechanically protected against penetration or enclosed in an earthed metal sheath.
The building control are correct that this is wrong, I can see the point about the problems with cable runs but there are ways around it that you have not used, sorry.

Behind skirtings is not a zone mate but I would argue that the 150mm at the top starts from where the cornice/coving whatever you want to call it because no one will do anything with that as it's an original feature.

He could argue if he has accessories in the skirting board then it indicates that wiring may come horizontally or vertical, but if he has stuffed all the wiring behind them with no accessories he might have a bit of negotiating to do lol.

Me either as has been said there is always a way, but he asked if he is totally wrong reg 120.3 gives him an option if he has satisfied it.
We wont know because we have'nt seen the install or his standard.

dont rgard myself as rough by any means ..cables not thrown in ,clipped and in zones where pos,not pratical to put in conduit and loads of damage to walls/decor to raggle which client wouldnt stand for

I had a very similar job recently. Builder wanted me to run T&E behind skirting, as this is how it was before. Accessories also already on skirting. I said I wasn't happy to do it, as the cable is highly likely to be damaged at some point. Building inspector was fine with it though (much to my surprise). In the end, I got my way and the socket outlets were moved up the wall and the cables run vertically.

Reply to cable zones in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock