Discuss Cables and Zones in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi Gents,
Probably a very simple answer but I'm installing an outside light on a small porch The switch being just inside the door.
The light however, is about 600ml from the door on the outside, so if I drill straight through from the outside to the inside, once inside, the cable exit point straight in to the back of the light outside is going to be out of the zones.

I was just wondering how people overcome this issue? I thought about drilling at an angle so that when the hole comes through to the inside, it is by the switch but I think I'll need either x-ray vision or a hell of a lot of luck, or even both, to pull this off close enough to the switch to be within a 'zone'

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Hi Gents,
Probably a very simple answer but I'm installing an outside light on a small porch The switch being just inside the door.
The light however, is about 600ml from the door on the outside, so if I drill straight through from the outside to the inside, once inside, the cable exit point straight in to the back of the light outside is going to be out of the zones.

I was just wondering how people overcome this issue? I thought about drilling at an angle so that when the hole comes through to the inside, it is by the switch but I think I'll need either x-ray vision or a hell of a lot of luck, or even both, to pull this off close enough to the switch to be within a 'zone'

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
You have to wonder why there is very little in the responses when the OP doesn't let you know what his/ her experiences are, very difficult to respond to a post with little information

@telectrix This is what I'm wondering, so the supply (Taken from an existing ceiling rose inside the existing dwelling) for the new porch outside light comes down from above, within the prescribed zones straight down to the switch.
However, as the light is being positioned away from the door, so in theory, about 1ft to the left of where the switch zones would be, I'm not sure if I'm allowed to run the cable outside of the zone to get in to the back of the light fixture outside?

@DPG Yeah I get that the zones run either horizontally or vertically from the switch. I'll add an image to show you guys what I mean.

@Pete999 What info did you need? Apologies. Just thought I needed to pose the question that's all!?
I have my domestic installer qualifications. I've been doing little domestic jobs for about 6 months now. I am happy with the regs/testing and go over these vigorously before any install, but some real world experiences are throwing me off a little, hence the question above. I have a seasoned electrician, who I'm helping, who comes in advises me on the installs and checks all the work I do and does the bigger parts of the jobs (CCU changes etc) for the time being, I'm just doing the "beginner" stuff like installing RFC's, lighting circuits both 1st and 2nd fix, he will then do all the work at the CCU. I literally just run the new cables etc
Again, all of which I go over with the electrician to make sure it's being done right, he is happy that I'm capable of doing these either with him, or being told what to do while he does other jobs.
It's how I'm learning the trade so far. I've completed about 5/6 installs so far all of which I've had assistance on and have been told are ok by the electrician. Is that ok?

Cables and Zones IMG_20190709_180932 - EletriciansForums.net

So this is as if you were inside the porch. Looking out. The switch is just inside of the door. The supply drops down from above the joists. In the zone.

The outside light, in relation to the switch is being placed about 1ft to the left or so, the dotted line is the route I'd need to take the cable up the wall and drilled through to the outside in order to get the cable inside the back of the light fixture. But this goes "west" and then North, the "north part of the route is outside of the zones right?

I hope this helps. Go easy.

@anthonybragg This was my first thought tbh, but because I don't want to blow a brick out on the face of the house, I'm going to be drilling from outside inwards, and trying to get the correct angle so that I fall within the zone of the switch is going to be difficult.
It's what I'll probably have to do but I wondered if anyone had any tips or suggestions regarding the matter.

@suffolkspark It's the dotted line? where it first exits the switch it's within the zone, but when it then has to go up the wall to then be fed outside it leaves the 'zone' provided by the switch right? Just the part where it travels up the wall.

As somebody else said above the zones go vertical and horizontal EITHER side of the wall from the accessory. It is through the wall and vertical to the light so fine in my book. And the bbb

@Charlie_ Unfortunately not as there are coins built in to the brick work.

@suffolkspark I didn't think it'd be ok seeing as the accessory is on the outside and anyone inside the porch wouldn't know it's position? So of they were to drill in to the wall they might not take in to account the light the other side of the wall!?

Ah I get it now. The last bit is outside of zones.

@telectrix This is what I'm wondering, so the supply (Taken from an existing ceiling rose inside the existing dwelling) for the new porch outside light comes down from above, within the prescribed zones straight down to the switch.
However, as the light is being positioned away from the door, so in theory, about 1ft to the left of where the switch zones would be, I'm not sure if I'm allowed to run the cable outside of the zone to get in to the back of the light fixture outside?

@DPG Yeah I get that the zones run either horizontally or vertically from the switch. I'll add an image to show you guys what I mean.

@Pete999 What info did you need? Apologies. Just thought I needed to pose the question that's all!?
I have my domestic installer qualifications. I've been doing little domestic jobs for about 6 months now. I am happy with the regs/testing and go over these vigorously before any install, but some real world experiences are throwing me off a little, hence the question above. I have a seasoned electrician, who I'm helping, who comes in advises me on the installs and checks all the work I do and does the bigger parts of the jobs (CCU changes etc) for the time being, I'm just doing the "beginner" stuff like installing RFC's, lighting circuits both 1st and 2nd fix, he will then do all the work at the CCU. I literally just run the new cables etc
Again, all of which I go over with the electrician to make sure it's being done right, he is happy that I'm capable of doing these either with him, or being told what to do while he does other jobs.
It's how I'm learning the trade so far. I've completed about 5/6 installs so far all of which I've had assistance on and have been told are ok by the electrician. Is that ok?
Hi Thomas,
I'm reluctant to answer your question Mate for fear of annoying the Mods, but some information of your experience would be helpful in order to quantify my answers, it's nothing personal, nothing sinister, just some pointers on how to answer your questionsCables and Zones 1562694950589 - EletriciansForums.netster, nothing

Reply to Cables and Zones in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock