Discuss Cables in trunking boxed in with pipes in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

kingeri

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Who would do this? Cables for upstairs circuits in trunking going up corner of room then central heating flow and return pipes on top of trunking, then whole lot boxed in. Good idea? Does it matter?

Hi Murdoch, no it's a been done this week on a rewire of a council house. Just seems rough to me, especially when there are plenty of alternatives.

I am a bit confused, I thought you said it was boxed in, then you say its surface mounted? How have they managed to install CH pipes over the top of trunking? Are you worried about the thermal effects?

Pure roughness.

A plumber came into our place and ran a pipe across our cable tray. It is in a factory setting.

LOL. We had a drunk dryliner walking and climbing over our tray on a job a while back. Needless to say the tray wasn't level afterwards!

I have a similar issue in a flat ...CH (8mm microbore) pipes and electric socket ring main cables are in the same trunking just above the skirting-board. The microbore pipe was retro fitted into the trunking after the cables.
Having read online, I’m feeling this can’t be left?

I’m being told the following but would welcome advice: leave the water pipes in the original plastic trunking and fit a second trunking approx 50mm above the pipes ... and then box it all in. ie two separate trunking channels then boxed in?

what's the spacing between the cables and the heating pipes? if < 25mm, get the water clowns back to reroute.

Definitely less than 25mm - literally in same plastic trunking (32mm X 16mm) so all four (2x 8mm CH pipes and 2x ring main cable) together. It looks really neat but I'm thinking long term safety and effect on electric cables). If the water and electric are put in two separate trunkings (electric above water and about 50mm apart) will it be ok for them to box in after - possibly with water pipes insulated?

i'd get the water clowns back to rip the pipes out and find their own bloody route. otherwise, maybe fit some 4" x 2" trunking with segregated compartments. cables in bottom, pipes in top. (heat rises).

i'd get the water clowns back to rip the pipes out and find their own bloody route. otherwise, maybe fit some 4" x 2" trunking with segregated compartments. cables in bottom, pipes in top. (heat rises).
Thanks for the advice - I’m also thinking that I should ask for the microbore CH water pipes to be lagged - anything to reduce the heat transfer to the cables!

Reply to Cables in trunking boxed in with pipes in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net