Electrical2Go - Online Electrical Supplier
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Discuss Cabling Fused Spurs for CCTV Engineers in the Electrical Engineering Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net



Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

Hello all and thank you for your help in advance.

I have been charged with finding the following information out for work and as I'm sure you are aware sometimes finding info on the internet can be quick and simple or long and painful, so I thought I would ask the pros.

We are a CCTV installation company and as part of our business we have to install fused spurs from time to time, although never trained I have 20 odds years of electrical work. The majority of our work is in commercial premises and I have argued the point that as we are not certified or qualified electricians that we should not be doing this work as our insurance may not hold up in the case of a problem arising.

Getting to the point - What training / qualifications would be required by our engineers to carry out the installation of Fused spurs (on existing ring mains) in commercial premises and where / who should I approach for this Training.


Instyle LED Lighting Specialists UK
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members


  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #2
I may be wrong but whilst at college a couple of years ago we had a couple of alarm & cctv engineers on my course of evening classes. They had to attend and do 3 years of the c&g 2330 level 2 & 3 to be considered 'competent' professionally to conduct the required electrical work associated with their job. Now this may have been their employers going overboard as why do you need to be a 'qualified' spark to simply connect / test fused spurs? Fact is, both dropped out in the end as they found the going too tough and not particularly useful as 99.9% was irrelevant to them. Sorry I can't give you a definitive textbook answer.
Me neither Could I give you a text book answer, But I can tell you someone on here will answer it for you, hang on in there................


  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #4
Bottom line is that the fused spur must comply with BS7671 (now BS7671:2008), and must be inspected, tested and certified. If its just a fused spur then you would need to complete a minor works certificate, so would need to measure continuity, insulation, polarity and EFLI (Zs) as with any installation.

As with any alteration, you will have to verify that the exisitng circuit (including earthing) is suitable or the changes.

the bottom line is you dont HAVE to have any qualifications to do this, as long as ALL of the work fully complies with BS7671 and is tested as such.

In reality you need your wiring regs (3 day course). whilst your work will generally not fall under Part P or be in domestic premises, You would learn all of the neccessary skills, including how to test and certify the circuit on the EAL Domestic Electrical Installer course.

I teach a two week package including the wiring regs for £1490

If you connect the fuse spur and it doesnt comply with BS7671 (or isnt tested) and the circuit was to catch fire, then you (the firm) would most certainly be liable. For example, suppose the CPC was open circuit and someone had a shock or the protection on the circuit was inadequate/missing

You are quite right to be cautious!



Reply to Cabling Fused Spurs for CCTV Engineers in the Electrical Engineering Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Aico 3000 Range
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members
Top Bottom