Discuss Cabling where practicality goes a miss in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reading about not using pvc t&e externally,what a load of rubbish,just take a look around it’s everywhere.

Not sure if you are being serious, but anytime I see T/E installed externally, I always prepare myself for more bodges inside the property.

I frequently see people on their mobile phones when driving, but it doesn't make me think that lots of people are doing it so its okay!

Pvc t&e is used for external lighting,power,you often see it clipped around walls,EXTERNALLY,it also used to rewire Internally too,
Can you believe that?
We are talking about pvc 6242y,also use lsoh cable.

Found this in professional electrician, and
Generally, where pvc insulated and sheathed (Twin & Earth) cable is routed externally, it should, where accessible, be protected against impact.

I’ve see cracked pvc many times where it’s been run externally and exposed to direct sunlight....Most of the time it’s been where bonding conductors have been clipped around the outside of the property.

My understanding is: the manufacturer’s of SY cable can’t be asked to get BS approval.
The cable’s used all round the world (including the UK).
Why waste the time, effort and money getting approval, when the increase in sales would be minimal?

At least t&e can be considered and disregarded due to the fact it is an approved cable..
Whereas sy type cables don’t.
Basec have condemned their use.
Just because something is widely used doesn’t make it right.
There has been many incidents involving products that have been widely used that shouldn’t have been.

Not aware that BASEC have condemned the use of SY cables.
Last year they were asking for input on specifications for control cables, specifically CY, SY and YY cables.

I read an article that they had published stating that these type of cables shouldn’t be used..
I got involved in a job where sy cables were being run all over the house as submains to all the db’s..
I objected to their use and as support I sought advice from Basec..
Dr Jeremy Hodge the Chief Executive emailed me and gave me the information to support my objection to their use..
I still have the email from basec if it is of any interest to anybody..

Prysmian technical also give some very good information about these type of cables..

Brilliant and about time too..
Hopefully we will soon be able to specify these cables without any issues..

I’m going to send them another email enquiring about what manufacturers are going to be getting cables specified.
Thanks for the update

At least t&e can be considered and disregarded due to the fact it is an approved cable..
Whereas sy type cables don’t.
Basec have condemned their use.
Just because something is widely used doesn’t make it right.
There has been many incidents involving products that have been widely used that shouldn’t have been.

But you're the only person who has raised the subject of SY etc in this thread? NYY-J has been suggested which is made to a BS-EN standard so is compliant for installations subject to bs7671.

Reply to Cabling where practicality goes a miss in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock