Discuss calculate 12v batteries needed to power a 230v fridge. in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

TeeJay711

I am wanting to experiment with solar power at home.
I want to try and power my fridge freezer as it is the only thing on at home all day.
Can you advise what kit i need.

inverter and a couple of leisure batteries. recharge batteries with solar.

1000/12 equates to 83A, so a single 83AH battery would last for 1 hour ( theoretically ) but in fact losses and inefficiency will reduce that to about 45mins. the number of batteries required would depend on how long you wanted it to run for before the batteries were flat.

Well, the idea (as an experiment) was to power the fridge continuosly using sunlight etc.
I have had a quick look at inverters and solar panels based on 2000w and £1500 is around the cost, bearing in mind I can get up to 80 used 12v batteries for free for now.
Not looking good as in costs unless you have any suggestions

you also need to allow for the fact that the fridge is thermostatically controlled, so the battery life would be longer than i said, due to the fact that the fridge would not be running all the time. only way to assess this would be to monitor the fridge consumption over a period and make an educated guess.

Well, the idea (as an experiment) was to power the fridge continuosly using sunlight etc.
I have had a quick look at inverters and solar panels based on 2000w and £1500 is around the cost, bearing in mind I can get up to 80 used 12v batteries for free for now.
Not looking good as in costs unless you have any suggestions

What are you trying to achieve here?
I've checked out my Big F/F and it costs about 17 pence a day (@ 15p/kWh) to run.
A bit of an academic exercise I think! :)

I was reading an article in the napit mag whilst on hols and also our UPS at work is having 80 12v batts changed at the weekend. so i thought as an experiment, i would put solar panels on the back wall of my house to power the fridge.
The fridge and telephone is the only thing on in our house all day.
I just wondered what would be the costs to make the fridge run indipendantly.

you say £62 per year, sure leave it as it is but inverters will have to become cheaper soon to make the whole solar world cost effective......

Do you have an opinion or thoughts on what i am thinking of doing, any comments welcome..

T.

A quick google showed that an A+ rated fridge will cost about £30 a year to run. Your panel/inverter would have to be very cheap to make it worth while......

Reply to calculate 12v batteries needed to power a 230v fridge. in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net