• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss Calculate panel loads in the American Professional Electrical Advice Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I am currently working on a 400 square ft. ADU for a client.
He originally designed it for to use propane for hot water and cooking.
He ran 1 1/2" conduit from main panel planning on 100 amp panel.
He now wants to eliminate propane and go all electric.
Loads are: mini split-19A, water htr.-18.75A, dryer-22.5A, range-40A. Total amps 100.25
Using the 120% rule he would then only have room for one more 20 A circuit.
Is this correct? It seems I have seen panels loaded up more than 120% a lot and in situations that were professionally done and inspected.

Megawatt

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I am currently working on a 400 square ft. ADU for a client.
He originally designed it for to use propane for hot water and cooking.
He ran 1 1/2" conduit from main panel planning on 100 amp panel.
He now wants to eliminate propane and go all electric.
Loads are: mini split-19A, water htr.-18.75A, dryer-22.5A, range-40A. Total amps 100.25
Using the 120% rule he would then only have room for one more 20 A circuit.
Is this correct? It seems I have seen panels loaded up more than 120% a lot and in situations that were professionally done and inspected.
You can easily run the loads you mentioned. First off you have 2 loads in your100 amp panel with the first being your calculated load which is the breaker size, then you have an actual connected load. You can’t add up all the breakers because all them loads won’t be in use at the same time. Hope that helps

Reply to Calculate panel loads in the American Professional Electrical Advice Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net