Discuss Calculating 20% VAT content of an invoice? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

O

Ohmyword

I don't see this type of query anywhere on this site - but if this is repetition, perhaps some "kind soul" will direct me to the correct site?

My question is:- I still receive bills from companies e.g. TalkTalk, that only show a gross invoice total (incl. VAT) but omit to show the 20% VAT element in that cost.

Does anyone out there know the formula to "extract" the 20% content of a gross figure i.e. a figure that is "including VAT"?:confused:

I know the formulas for the 17.5% & the 15% VAT but not the 20%.

Just remember if the invoice does not say it is a vat invoice or show their vat number on it you can't actually claim vat back on it. You need them to send you a vat invoice to legally be able to claim the vat back.

divide by 6 to find the vat amount that has been added on,

if you want to add vat, multiply by 1.2

Many thanks for that info. jb. I couldn't believe it was so easy a calculation after using, what seems like, quite random fractions for the 15 & 17.5% VAT elements for quite some years.
I believe I thought, "too easy to be true!"

Some businesses still give you a gross figure, after all this time. I've got a "fuel card" now, but could have done with that years back when the smaller fuel stations just gave you a written receipt. You might have 15 - 20 of them each quarter, depending on how many vans you were running and how much travelling you were doing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just remember if the invoice does not say it is a vat invoice or show their vat number on it you can't actually claim vat back on it. You need them to send you a vat invoice to legally be able to claim the vat back.

Thanks for that a.

It's good that your advice is on here for all to see :)

Perhaps I gave the impression of just signing up to be VAT registered. I've been registered for many a long year ;-) It was just the mathematics that caught me out.

Solid bit of advice though - thanks :)

Thanks r.

I am of the age where I am hesitant in downloading something that might "take my soul" if I let it into my machine.
I do have someone though that "looks after" my web-site, p.c., and on-line advertising so will give him a call about it.

Don't go on the sites the alarm guys go on!!!!
Very educationally!!.... Something about hunting clips?!?!?!?

I don't see this type of query anywhere on this site - but if this is repetition, perhaps some "kind soul" will direct me to the correct site?

My question is:- I still receive bills from companies e.g. TalkTalk, that only show a gross invoice total (incl. VAT) but omit to show the 20% VAT element in that cost.

Does anyone out there know the formula to "extract" the 20% content of a gross figure i.e. a figure that is "including VAT"?:confused:

I know the formulas for the 17.5% & the 15% VAT but not the 20%.

It's straight forward.

If the gross invoice total on the invoice Includes the VAT, that means the figure shown is 100 % (net) + 20 % (vat). Say Y is the gross invoice total than the VAT will be (20xY)/120

Hope this helps!

It's straight forward.

If the gross invoice total on the invoice Includes the VAT, that means the figure shown is 100 % (net) + 20 % (vat). Say Y is the gross invoice total than the VAT will be (20xY)/120

Hope this helps!
20/120 being 1/6 as said previous. just wait till it goes up to 22.5%.

Too late now the thread is out and alive....???

When I was VAT registered a looong time ago, sometime between the Abbacus and the calculator, when it was 15%, the official figure to work backwards was 3/23.
There's always and official figure, as Tel has said 1/6 at the moment with 20%.

If you have an android phone theres an app called 'vat calculator' by Joao Ferreira. I used to use it a lot for my expenses in work. You can put in either the amount including VAT or amount excluding VAT and it'll work out the vat. Great free app. I don't use it anymore as when we got taken over back in January our company credit cards were taken away ?

I still receive bills from companies e.g. TalkTalk, that only show a gross invoice total (incl. VAT) but omit to show the 20% VAT element in that cost.
I used to be with Talk Talk but BT are the same, you have to request a VAT invoice. The invoice they send you says it includes VAT but not the actual figures.

Glad someone thinks the same way...thanks Tel!
If you can't work out the VAT, how do you do simple load calcs and so many other calcs?
Trouble is, schools don't teach mental arithmetic these days.
" How much is that?"
"£12.17"
"Here's a twenty, and I'll give you the 17p"
" Whaaat? No...don't bother..."

When I was working, our local sandwich shop delivered to the office. The young lad would bring our order and he had change for a fiver in one pocket, change for a tenner in another pocket and change for a twenty in yet another pocket...we sometimes fooled him by offering a £100 note...

If a chocolate bar costs 40p, how many do you get for a pound?
Yoof grabs phone...two and a half!
Aye...right!

Glad someone thinks the same way...thanks Tel!
If you can't work out the VAT, how do you do simple load calcs and so many other calcs?
Trouble is, schools don't teach mental arithmetic these days.
" How much is that?"
"£12.17"
"Here's a twenty, and I'll give you the 17p"
" Whaaat? No...don't bother..."

When I was working, our local sandwich shop delivered to the office. The young lad would bring our order and he had change for a fiver in one pocket, change for a tenner in another pocket and change for a twenty in yet another pocket...we sometimes fooled him by offering a £100 note...

If a chocolate bar costs 40p, how many do you get for a pound?
Yoof grabs phone...two and a half!
Aye...right!
for your future enlightenment......
The 'perfect acre is a rectangular area of 43,560 square feet, bounded by sides 660 feet (a furlong) long and 66 feet wide (220 yards and 22 yards) or, equivalently, 40 rods and 4 rods. An acre is therefore 160 square rods or 10 square chains.

you may notice that we has the factor of 10 long before the froggies chopped off any heads with brain cells (that's also why plumbers have survived to this day) and invented the stupid metric system.

Reply to Calculating 20% VAT content of an invoice? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock