• Welcome to the new forum. We're now hosted on ElectriciansForums.net rather than ElectriciansForums.co.uk - Chat about the forum upgrade by CLICKING HERE

Welcome to our Electrical Forum - We started out providing electrical advice just for the UK - But now we have specific advice for the USA too! - Register for free and share American Electrical Advice.

Discuss Calculating 3 phase kva in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickblake

Electrician's Arms
CCTV / Alarms
Solar Guru
DIY
My brains switched off chaps and i can remember how to calculate 3 phase kva

i know its V x I x 1.73 / 1000

so is it 230 or 400 x I x 1.73 / 1000

fee a right numpty cant belive ive forgotten it not done 3 phase calcs for a while please enlighten me to the correct figures then ill give my self a good slapping:D

ukpablo

Regular EF Member
Example 1

A 415 volt, three phase generator provides 200 Amp. Calculate the kW and kVA of this generator.
kW = V x I P.F. x ÷ 1000 = 415 x 200 x 0.8 x 1.732 ÷ 1000 = 115 kW
kVA = kW ÷ P.F. = 115 ÷ 0.8 = 143 kVA
Example 2

To calculate the current (Amps) available from a 150 kVA generator at 415 Volts
kW = V x I x √3 ÷ 1000 Therefore I = kVA x 1000 ÷ V x √3 = 208 Amps
Example 3

To calculate the size of a generator required to provide 150 Amps @ 440 Volt
kW = V x I x  ÷ 1000 = 440 x 150 x 1.732 ÷ 1000 = 114 kW

pushrod

Electrician's Arms
VA = √3 x Vl xIl

since VA = watts/PF

edit and it will be 400V

Last edited:

nickblake

Electrician's Arms
CCTV / Alarms
Solar Guru
DIY
Thanks guys the pennys dropped im in the process of giving myself a slap ,im a right bleary eyed parrot faced wassok duuuuuu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Electrician Talk

Electrical 2 Go - Electrical Supplier and Electrical Wholesalers
Electrical Insurance
ElectriciansForums.net (formerly known as ElectriciansForums.co.uk) was setup in April 2006 to provide free electrical advice to both professional and DIY electricians. Whether seeking advice for auto electrics, trying to find electrical installation condition reports (EICR) form downloads, or whether you're here just to talk to other electricians; we've been a first-choice website for tens of thousands of sparkies for well over a decade.