Discuss calculating design current in a ring circuit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

dave30

hello and thanks again for all your answers got another question for yous

ok im trying to calculate design current for a ring

if it was a shower unit say 7.5kw at 230 volts i would do 7500 / 230 = 32.6 amp this i no how to do

cant think how you would do it for ring or even if you can do it

could some one please help its a 32 amp ring on a 230 volt supply

Hello, the design current of the circuit is the maximum draw in the case of a ring i.e the breaker rating. If this is a cable calc there are of course many other aspects, insulation, grouping, etc. Hope that is of some help. Same for a lighting circuit or radial socket circuit etc.

Bit more complicated with a ring to determine how a load will distribute current across both legs, easiest way would be to measure continuity from your load point to the breaker on each leg, in theory the proportions of current going down each leg is inversely proportional to the resistance.

Reply to calculating design current in a ring circuit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Im currently in my apprenticeship and completing an assignment that involves cable calculations. Im currently stuck on how to find the design...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am a trainee electrician just starting to get into doing cable calculations. I understand them when it comes to a radial circuit but get...
Replies
Views
Hello, New trainee electrician so sorry if this is a dumb question I feel confident with calculating the volt drop for a ring and radial circuit...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am changing the electric shower in a bathroom refurbishment (my own) and just wanted to ask about the mcb rating. The existing shower was...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I wonder if I can get some opinion on my deliberations on an old TPN installation with numerous 1P sub-boards wired up with 16mm T&E...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock