Discuss calculating phase to phase voltage in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

If its comparing two voltages in a 3 phase system I think it would be:

(90 sin 120) - (70 sin 240) = 138.6 V.

Im sure someone will correct me if im wrong

In my question, suppose that 90v phase voltage(phase-N) and 70v phase voltage(phase-N) are from 2 different systems both having a phase angle of 120 degree, so when we measure the voltage across these 2 voltages using a voltmeter, the reading that it shows, how it can be calculated mathematically?

In my question, suppose that 90v phase voltage(phase-N) and 70v phase voltage(phase-N) are from 2 different systems both having a phase angle of 120 degree, so when we measure the voltage across these 2 voltages using a voltmeter, the reading that it shows, how it can be calculated mathematically?

I think it would depend on the earthing system and if there was any common points in the systems ie earth or neutral, if both are electrically separate from each other you may not measure any voltage at all. (not sure about the 120 degree phase angle as both systems are single phase?)

Last edited:

Well my take on your scenario there is it would be in essence a single phase 'split phase' system i.e two seperate phases but of the same origin so not 1 of brown, and 1 of black or grey but both of brown or black or grey.

The resultant voltage would then be 160V between the 'phases' but 90V and 70V between each phase and it's respective neutral.

I am still not getting my answer. In my case, both 90v & 70v are phase voltages of two different three phase systems & both are having an angle of 120 degree, what will be the phase to phase V between them?
OK consider another case, In a three phase system suppose one phase is having 70v & other is having 90v. what will be phase to phase voltage between these?

I am still not getting my answer. In my case, both 90v & 70v are phase voltages of two different three phase systems & both are having an angle of 120 degree, what will be the phase to phase V between them?
OK consider another case, In a three phase system suppose one phase is having 70v & other is having 90v. what will be phase to phase voltage between these?

you need to find the horizontal and vertical component of each voltage and solve as it is part of an unbalaced three phase system. too much to write on here but it is in all good electrical engineering books. Alternatively you could draw the phasor diagram to scale and measure. should be about 138.925V. This only works if it is one system see my earlier reply for different systems.

Last edited:
For standard 120 degree between phases it is the L-N voltage multiply by the square root of 3.
Found this interesting breakdown of the calculation, whilst trawling the net.............

Reverting to basics, the instantaneous phase voltage of a single-phase system is expressed as V(t) = Vm x Sin(wt), where the wave's amplitude is Vm, and its frequency, in radians, is (wt)

Expressing the wave as a vector, having both magnitude and direction, the phase voltage in RMS, Vrms equals Vm/SQRT[2] at a reference angle, usually taken as zero.

The three-phase system has three phase voltages, Van, Vbn, and Vcn. Their corresponding vector notations are:

Van = Vrms at 0 deg (ref); Vbn = Vrms at -120 deg; Vcn = Vrms at +120 deg.

Because their magnitudes are equal, i.e., Van = Vbn = Vcn = Vrms, and given an A-B-C phase rotation, their corresponding complex phasor notations are:

Van = Vrms(1.0+j0.0) as reference.

Vbn = Vrms(-0.5-j0.866), lags Van by 120 deg

Vcn = Vrms(-0.5+j0.866), lags Van by 240 deg

The phase-phase voltages are related to the phase-neutral voltages as by vectoral addition:

Vab = Van-Vbn = Vrms [(1.0+j0.0)-(-0.5-j0.866)] = Vrms [1.5+j0.866)] = Vrms [1.5+j0.866] = SQRT(3)Vrms

Thus, the line voltage ( ph-to-ph)) is SQRT[3] times phase (ph-neutral) voltage. (QED)

As said earlier on the post, if both 3 phase systems are electically seperate then there will be no voltage between them.

You said both phases are at 120 deg, so are you saying both phases are in phase with each other? If you have two three phase installations (both having the same source) and measure between L1 of installation A and L1 of installation B you would also get 0 volts.

Reply to calculating phase to phase voltage in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock