Discuss Calibration for part p assessment in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

O

Olec

Hi, can someone clear this up for me please? Does my test meter need a current calibration certificate for my elecsa assessment? I have been told by a couple people that a check box with a record of monthly tests will be fine, is this true and in this case do you need to supply your out of date calibration certs? Also what is a reasonable test box, would a dedicated socket next to the DB be ok? Advice appreciated

Just passed my 3rd Elecsa Assessment and one of the first things they looked for was a current calibration certificate for my Fluke tester, checking that the serial number on my Fluke matched the one on the certificate.

you will need a current cert and you will also need to buy a test box.
A dedicated socket will be no use at all - what would it prove?

You get your meter calibrated.
Then you use you check box every month to test the meter results are consistent against a known test environment.

My test environment consists of a plug-in RCD (to check the RCD tests) and a home-made box with 4 resistors in it that I made up for £10 with bits from Maplin.
You can get a ready made one for lots more!

Google calibration checkbox.

As others have said, they usually want to see an up to date cal cert., at the end of the day it is down to them what they will accept.

Although there have been discussions about if you have a regular log sheet and test box you may get away with a cal cert every 3 years, there is also the school of thought (which I happen to agree with), that you should get a yearly cal cert and still check with a check box of some sort, which when you think about it makes sense, as the cal cert only proves the meter/s were working correctly on the day of the cal.

Imagine if you had to retest everything going back for months and months if you later find out your meter has been faulty for a period unknown.

When I was subbying for a council, they checked their meters weekly, but I tend to check mine monthly and get a yearly cal cert, I have known some sparks to have a dedicated RCD socket to keep a log of results.

Me ?, I just trip half the house out once a month, lol

Last edited:
Hi Spark dog,
I always get mine done yearly too, my assessor has never mentioned check boxes either, but I still prefer to check my meters monthly for my own piece of mind, as I would hate to have to re-test anything, not to mention re doing the certs, just good practice IMO.

Had an elecsa assessment yesterday, I was also asked for the calibration certificates very early on in the assessment, no mention of check box either

You must have your primary reference instrument calibration checked by a recognised test house every year.
There appears to be some flexibility with other instruments you may have eg:- my other instrument is regularly checked (every 6months), against a Cal Card and also the same RCD protected socket. The tests are then repeated using your primary calibrated reference instrument. Results then tabulated to understand level of accuracy on secondary instrument.

It's a bit of a chore but at least it saves you anther £45 calibration certificate cost!

you will need a current cert and you will also need to buy a test box.
A dedicated socket will be no use at all - what would it prove?
well if this is the case...then i suggest they take a peek in GN3....where a dedicated socket outlet with a known value of...lets say loop is known....
its the same as for safe isolation isn`t it....a known source of supply ...such as a proving unit...or the INCOMING SIDE OF A DP ISO...

funny how the different bodies have different rules, the NICEIC are happy with a check box and a log of testing dates and results, I often get my tester calibrated but he says a check box is good enough :grin:

Reply to Calibration for part p assessment in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net