Advertisement - Content continues below

Discuss Call out standby pay in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

Hi all.
Just wondering if any of you do emergency call out. I work for a large housing association and the pay rate for out of hours seems a bit poor.

We get £4.66 an hour which includes all work and travel. Same rate applies for weekends. 1.5x for bank holidays and 2x for xmas day.

Is this the going rate or are we being shafted?

Cheers.

CK Tools :) The professionals choice when it comes to Electrical Tools
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

telectrix

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
you're being shafted.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
you're being shafted.
I thought so..
The hours do add up as we do 118 of them in a typical week, but i can't help but think we should be on way more.

No idea of the going rates but earning £223 for covering 24 hours on xmas day seems pathetic. Haha.

Baddegg

-
Arms
Supporter
Esteemed
Advent Win
I thought so..
The hours do add up as we do 118 of them in a typical week, but i can't help but think we should be on way more.

No idea of the going rates but earning £223 for covering 24 hours on xmas day seems pathetic. Haha.
Don’t do it then :grinning:

UNG

-
Mentor
Arms
OP you must be desperate for a job to work for those rates or is the £4.66 on top of your normal rate as £4.66 would be well under the minimum wage

OP you must be desperate for a job to work for those rates or is the £4.66 on top of your normal rate as £4.66 would be well under the minimum wage
We get our day salary for 7.5 hours, (decent rate 2bh) then the 4.66 for the remaining 14 hours on standby.

snowhead

-
Mentor
So you get paid £4.66 for each of the 14hrs regardless of whether you get called out?
And no lump sum extra for the week?

telectrix

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
all depends on the workload when you're on staandby. if you are out all hours, then you're being shafted. if 90% of the time you're sitting on your arse at home, it's not that bad.

Pete999

-
Arms
Esteemed
Hi all.
Just wondering if any of you do emergency call out. I work for a large housing association and the pay rate for out of hours seems a bit poor.

We get £4.66 an hour which includes all work and travel. Same rate applies for weekends. 1.5x for bank holidays and 2x for xmas day.

Is this the going rate or are we being shafted?
Cheers.
WhenI was "on call" I got an allowance of approx. £27:00 per week plus a minimum of 3 hours per call out @ whatever rate applied, time and a half up to a Certain time, double time for Sat, and Sun treble time for Xmas, Easter and bank holidays, if you got another call out within the 3 hours, then it was down to you and the person calling you out to work out the timings to suit, phone calls were paid for, fuel etc also
Looks like you are getting pooped on fro a great height, oh this was 15 years ago. work it out for yourself. A callout was from when you got the call until you called the caller to say you had been and completed the call. Ie you wee back home, supping a pint. Remember you are being paid the allowance for being available, no getting ratted, no excuses you will need to let the call centre your location, phone number etc, essentially you are flummoxed from all extra curricular activities for the period you are being paid the allowance, no allowance, them stuff it.

Last edited:

snowhead

-
Mentor
So it's 118 x £4.66 per week regardless of how long out?
How often and for how long over the week are you out ?

all depends on the workload when you're on staandby. if you are out all hours, then you're being shafted. if 90% of the time you're sitting on your arse at home, it's not that bad.
The workload varies with the weather, ie rain causing leaks etc. Last week the weather was nice and i had 16 jobs. 3am one night, 4am another. Hard to gauge really.

Aico Carbon Monoxide Detectors

Reply to Call out standby pay in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Test Meter - Forum Sponsors since 2007!

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
Top Bottom