Discuss Calling all Linux Gurus in the Computer and Networking Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Kamikaze

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Recently I have treated myself to a new toy. It did however come with a version of “Fenster 8“. So I had a bit of a tinker around with it and found it to be an attempt by “Dopeysoft” to self sabotage their business. So I formatted the drive and installed Linux. This is of course a massive learning curve now. There are a few things I can’t work out.

1: Trying to enable the firewall and the online instructions state that this has to be done in a terminal. Where will I find this terminal?

2: A lot of online videos require a flash player which does not appear to be compatible with Linux. Another option is to play the video in something called HTML5 which also appears not to work. Is there a Linux equivalent that would do the job?

3: There seems to be very little interest within the Linux community in the use of anti-bacterial software. Do I need to worry about not having any?

On a more positive note. It boots up in the blink of an eye and shuts down just as quick. Does not endlessly try and update itself. Does not have an app fetish which is out of control. Image quality also appears to be superior. So all in all it’s a thing of beauty!:sifone:

Which linux distro have you installed? Ubuntu or debian or mint exc.

To get terminal up on your keyboard press Ctrl +Alt +T that should bring up terminal

And while you are still in terminal type this in
sudo apt-get install flashplugin-installer that shoukd give you flash player for videos.

Also html 5 is a browser language it has nothing to do with linux, it should be built into firefox which should be already installed and also built into chromium which is google chrome for linux which can be downloaded.

Linux is amazing but the best one is ubuntu 14.04.1 they call it the windows killer as it is awesome it should have all the flash stuff already built into it thats the one I use its amazing get it from here Download Ubuntu Desktop | Download | Ubuntu

Last edited:
Yeah, it's the windows killer (I like that :biggrin:) ubuntu. Well that definitely did the business. Thank you very much! Since I have now got the flash player up and running, another problem has reared it's ugly head. Pop-up windows of advertising are able to pop up. It didn't do that before. Bizare!

Anyway, it's the shear speed it does things at that blows my tiny little mind. It could actually be faster than the speed of light. I supose it won't be long before that novelty wears off. Thanks again for your help. Very much appreciated!

Yeah, it's the windows killer (I like that :biggrin:) ubuntu. Well that definitely did the business. Thank you very much! Since I have now got the flash player up and running, another problem has reared it's ugly head. Pop-up windows of advertising are able to pop up. It didn't do that before. Bizare!

Anyway, it's the shear speed it does things at that blows my tiny little mind. It could actually be faster than the speed of light. I supose it won't be long before that novelty wears off. Thanks again for your help. Very much appreciated!

If you wanna say thanks then hit the thanks button haha

When you say pop ups do you mean pop ups while you are browsing the internet?

If you want it to go even faster go to the software center and put in the search bar Preload and download that it does what is says it basically learns what you click on and when then anticipates what you are gonna click on and preloads it its awesome lol also if you want real speed get a ssd in your computer they are amazing the best update you could do to a computer

-----EDIT-----

Sorry just realised you did hit the thanks button

you dont need a firewall on linux.

have a look at the ubuntu forums or debian, ubuntu is more beginer friendly.

i find it much easier than windows because of apt-get in debian.

when you get used to it its very easy.

windows 10 is coming out start of next year (skipping 9)

this brings back start menu and other things, ive played with the tech preview and its good

have a look at the ubuntu forums or debian, ubuntu is more beginer friendly.

i find it much easier than windows because of apt-get in debian.

when you get used to it its very easy.

windows 10 is coming out start of next year (skipping 9)

this brings back start menu and other things, ive played with the tech preview and its good

Linux has a Firewall built in mate its basically ip tables, im not saying you have to have it enabled as there are no ports set to listen on linux like there is on windows but if someone gets connected to your network (your router) then they can access you computer wether its linux or not, every thing should have a firewall turned on my firewall is built into my router its not actually on my laptop/pc. it is best to have a firewall and it not get used then to have someone try to externaly access your computer and not have a firewall.

Linux is amazing and its free/open source so you can do what you want with it it really is the best os i think i have it on my ultrabook but i have windows 8.1 on my pc and i have not been on the tech preview i did it with win 7 and 8 but i have not looked at it for win 10 but it definatly seems like it could be the best windows they have made so far i just hope it lives up to the hype lol

Linux has a Firewall built in mate its basically ip tables, im not saying you have to have it enabled as there are no ports set to listen on linux like there is on windows but if someone gets connected to your network (your router) then they can access you computer wether its linux or not, every thing should have a firewall turned on my firewall is built into my router its not actually on my laptop/pc. it is best to have a firewall and it not get used then to have someone try to externaly access your computer and not have a firewall.

Linux is amazing and its free/open source so you can do what you want with it it really is the best os i think i have it on my ultrabook but i have windows 8.1 on my pc and i have not been on the tech preview i did it with win 7 and 8 but i have not looked at it for win 10 but it definatly seems like it could be the best windows they have made so far i just hope it lives up to the hype lol
i know what your saying but you dont really need to touch it unless you want tto open ports etc, on linux its usually enabled by default

true or even use virtualbox for the rest, im going to swap over soon i think causs windows iritates me with driver issues etc

The only driver issues I ever had was when I got my gtx 770 graphics card it just would not install right but other than that I been problem free

When you say pop ups do you mean pop ups while you are browsing the internet?
Yes mate!

If you want it to go even faster go to the software center and put in the search bar Preload and download that it does what is says it basically learns what you click on and when then anticipates what you are gonna click on and preloads it.
You got to be kidding, history always tells a story, which is why you must always remember to clear it before the wife or mum uses the computer.:wink:

Just wanted to be on top of any possible problems. Is there any point in anti virus programms?

windows 10 is coming out start of next year (skipping 9) this brings back start menu and other things
Bring back windows 2000 I say. Still use it on one of my systems and it has never let me down.

Out of curiosity, is it possible to RAID 0 a Linux system?

I have used Linux for at least ten years and have never run any Virus software.

Linux will work with hardware raid much the same as windows. Linux also provides software raid built in for standard disks. https://raid.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/RAID_setup#RAID-0

If you want to stop pop ups and add I recommend AddBlock for firefox. https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/adblock-plus/
adblock integrates into a lot of browsers so is a must imho.

better to use an ssd rather than raid0

if 1 drive goes you lose the lot, you want some form of parity data or similar

the big difference being that there is no admin account set in Ubuntu/*nix by default like there is in windows,
so if anyone does get access to your Ubuntu PC they cant actually execute a virus without your input of the password,
the other thing to remember is, Ubuntu is Debian based, this makes it very popular with lots of stuff available for it, just be careful when buying HW, HP are really good at supporting Linux, my HP printer works via wifi to all my Linux kit, Ubuntu even comes with the HP drivers built in.
if you really need to use windows try running it in a sandbox within Ubuntu, virtualbox is good.
btw, I run Ubuntu on all my stuff, except my phones, they are Android, which is a version of *nix of a sort, and 2 of the tablets, 1 Android, 1 Blackberry, but the other tablet is Ubuntu, and its brilliant.

Recently I have treated myself to a new toy.
So I formatted the drive and installed Linux. This is of course a massive learning curve now. There are a few things I can’t work out.

1: Trying to enable the firewall and the online instructions state that this has to be done in a terminal. Where will I find this terminal?

2: A lot of online videos require a flash player which does not appear to be compatible with Linux. Another option is to play the video in something called HTML5 which also appears not to work. Is there a Linux equivalent that would do the job?

3: There seems to be very little interest within the Linux community in the use of anti-bacterial software. Do I need to worry about not having any?

On a more positive note. It boots up in the blink of an eye and shuts down just as quick. Does not endlessly try and update itself. Does not have an app fetish which is out of control. Image quality also appears to be superior. So all in all it’s a thing of beauty!:sifone:

welcome to the linux world
Ive been using linux now for 12 years and am currently using PinguyOs 14.4 (written in the UK.)
you can usually find terminal in system tools in the menu
once you get used to linux you will never go back to win-hosed crap

linux is very hard to contaminate with virus because it uses different formatting and multiple partitions
and you have the option of choice of format
even if a virus infects a partition it cannot cross to another and fsck (file systems check) will find and correct an infected file.
linux systems are harder for hackers to attack because of the same reason.
while micro-sith is vulnerable because of it s use of only one partition scheme.

Unfortunately there is no tinkering time at the moment. I’m on double shifts. There appears to be some sort of a problem with the spell checker but I will have to look into that on the weekend. I will keep this thread updated of my progress. Thanks for all the encouragements.:book:

Got the spell checker in Libre Office Writer sorted now and have moved onto the next inconvenience. Now I haven’t been on the Ubuntu site, thought I try this place first. I’ve got a USB Digital TV Dongle and have installed Kaffeine. But it appears as if the system has not found the dongle. It hasn’t asked to install any drivers. My question is this. In windows is a Device Manager, is there a Linux equivalent? So I can check if the system can see the dongle.

If you just want to see the hardware profile from a command line you open Hardinfo with the command $ hardinfo. You can also access it in Applications > System Profiler and Benchmark. Note that you can't add or remove drivers from there, you have to do it manully

Reply to Calling all Linux Gurus in the Computer and Networking Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock