Discuss Came across this little gem today, then got the sack! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

The Ghost

IMG_4212.JPG It may be a little hard to see but there is a Line and Neutral fuse in it. Advised Landlord it was potentially dangerous and needed upgrade advised contacting DNO for upgrade of cut-out. Landlord asked me to phone them which I did the DNO said they will be around as soon as possible to do a safety check when I explained to them the situation. Landlord asked if I would be charging while I waited and I said yes! He said he did not want me to wait and he would deal with it as he knew what he was doing (haha!) He has already asked me what system it was at the cut-out I said TNS he said is that PME? I said I will wait as I wanted to talk with the DNO to make sure they did what was needed ASAP. No not good enough the Landlord will deal with it so I said well get another electrician. Ok I sacked myself!IMG_4205.JPG

View attachment 43777 It may be a little hard to see but there is a Line and Neutral fuse in it. Advised Landlord it was potentially dangerous and needed upgrade advised contacting DNO for upgrade of cut-out. Landlord asked me to phone them which I did the DNO said they will be around as soon as possible to do a safety check when I explained to them the situation. Landlord asked if I would be charging while I waited and I said yes! He said he did not want me to wait and he would deal with it as he knew what he was doing (haha!) He has already asked me what system it was at the cut-out I said TNS he said is that PME? I said I will wait as I wanted to talk with the DNO to make sure they did what was needed ASAP. No not good enough the Landlord will deal with it so I said well get another electrician. Ok I sacked myself!View attachment 43778
Right so going on the Dole is out of the question then:(

I have as a matter of derriere covering sent an email to the owner of the property detailing findings and the risk level and a proposed measure/action for the landlord to take "urgently" It rather upsets me that the landlord will consider money over safety but I know that is standard but still it does make me think I do not want to work for people like that.

It's a pity you're out of the loop, because I'd have paid you to give the DNO guys a drink to leave it behind. Gear like that is very difficult to find now, so if you do get back in the loop, see if you can nab it!

@Lucien Nunes I could not agree with you more. It was definitely my plan to have that cut-out for my collection. Part (just a part) of my feindish plan to be there when they came. As I say it is a gem you do not see this often. Yes a great shame I cannot get my hands on it. The problem with this guy he is a gas safe fitter and started life as an electrical apprentice and considers he is an electrician as well. He did some commercial SWA large size. However he is not conversant with current practices, I&T and ESQCR which is critical in dealing with the DNO (the main reason for my staying and talking with them) There were T&E cables punched through the wall at the back of the housegoing to a garage 15m from the house. I said we need to get rid of them but he insisted they would be terminated with chock blocks in a box outside and so on. I said I will not be doing that it would have to be removed from the installation completely. Then I thought well, he know it all he doesn't need me then. I won't be going back methinks.

Reply to Came across this little gem today, then got the sack! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net