Discuss Campsite Install in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

D

desertbootz

I'm looking into installing serviced pitches for a campsite venture (actual location undecided) and have two (probably many more!) problems, 1. Never done it before and 2. Haven't got round to doing my 17th and understand changes have occurred since I did 16th.

I've been through 16th to think out the basic design and researched what I can with regard to 17th in case of changes but still have some questions and any pointers would be well received :O)

According to regs each pitch supply (they want 10 for starters) has to rated to 16A, individually protected and no diversity allowed (as they are effectively plug skts). The Isolator needs to be near the pitch so I'm thinking each pitch should have a small cubicle with RCBO, BS 60309 socket and a courtesy lamp cos I don't want chilly, wet campers sticking their little pinkies anywhere they shouldn't in the dark. I think these cubicles can be fed using SWA (csa tbd) buried >500mm going back to a CCU type of thing.

Q1. Above sounds reasonable?

Q2. Should SWA armour be bonded?

Q3. As each pitch will have isolation at the pitch but be fed from CCU should I protect those cables runs individually at the CCU (with a Main Isolator as well) or should I protect all of them only with a single Main Isolator?

Q4. Assuming all 10 pitches came off single CCU would I really need a 160A Main Isolator?

Here's where I get a bit confused about the 'rated at 16A' quoted from regs. Providing 16A per pitch adds up to a lot of incoming supply if no diversity is applied anywhere. I always thought pitches only got about 4-6A and 10A if it's a good site! Can I put in diversity as I think it very unlikely all pitches will be drawing 16A at the same time. I would think 6A should do for most?

Now I get to Main Supply. It seems you mustn't bond to PME supplies so I guess that means if local supply is PME I'd need to make the camping services TT with earth stakes and the like?

That's enough Q's for now. Sorry for long winded query :O)

I'm looking into installing serviced pitches for a campsite venture (actual location undecided) and have two (probably many more!) problems, 1. Never done it before and 2. Haven't got round to doing my 17th and understand changes have occurred since I did 16th.

I've been through 16th to think out the basic design and researched what I can with regard to 17th in case of changes but still have some questions and any pointers would be well received :O)

According to regs each pitch supply (they want 10 for starters) has to rated to 16A, individually protected and no diversity allowed (as they are effectively plug skts). The Isolator needs to be near the pitch so I'm thinking each pitch should have a small cubicle with RCBO, BS 60309 socket and a courtesy lamp cos I don't want chilly, wet campers sticking their little pinkies anywhere they shouldn't in the dark. I think these cubicles can be fed using SWA (csa tbd) buried >500mm going back to a CCU type of thing.

Q3. As each pitch will have isolation at the pitch but be fed from CCU should I protect those cables runs individually at the CCU (with a Main Isolator as well) or should I protect all of them only with a single Main Isolator?

Q4. Assuming all 10 pitches came off single CCU would I really need a 160A Main Isolator?

Here's where I get a bit confused about the 'rated at 16A' quoted from regs. Providing 16A per pitch adds up to a lot of incoming supply if no diversity is applied anywhere. I always thought pitches only got about 4-6A and 10A if it's a good site! Can I put in diversity as I think it very unlikely all pitches will be drawing 16A at the same time. I would think 6A should do for most?

Now I get to Main Supply. It seems you mustn't bond to PME supplies so I guess that means if local supply is PME I'd need to make the camping services TT with earth stakes and the like?

With the potential of 10 caravans each having a 16A supply with no diversity 160A yes, but if every one of them were pulling 16A all at the same time I don't think you can use a single phase supply so you would need to look at a 3 phase supply (100A) for the distribution board configured 4-3-3 then using a 8-way 3 phase DB there is scope for future expansion of caravan pitches. Each pitch could have it's own protective device and cable running to it so if that one cable was damaged then the other pitches would not be affected.

Last edited:

I think if it says no diversity allowed you have to comply!
Are these to be metered in any way?
I don't think rcbo's can be used as they are not DP,ie have to go for rcd and mcb.
Your socket will need to be within 10m of site.
Of course you have to protect each cable/circuit individually.
Don't know what you're on about with your pme query?
I think you will find info at 708 in the bible.I still havn't got it yet either.
when is someone gonna post it on t'net?

With the potential of 10 caravans each having a 16A supply with no diversity 160A yes, but if every one of them were pulling 16A all at the same time I don't think you can use a single phase supply so you would need to look at a 3 phase supply (100A) for the distribution board configured 4-3-3 then using a 8-way 3 phase DB there is scope for future expansion of caravan pitches..

OK. Have to have a bit of a think about that :O)

I think if it says no diversity allowed you have to comply!

It's not a std cct or 2A so that's what I'm assuming but regs only say rated... and I don't take that to mean 16A has to be supplied... or am I being tight/naive?

Are these to be metered in any way?

Nope

I don't think rcbo's can be used as they are not DP,ie have to go for rcd and mcb.

DP RCBO are available but not as common as the SP

Your socket will need to be within 10m of site.
Of course you have to protect each cable/circuit individually.

I thought to have RCBO in cubicle with socket for local isolation, protecting the van, and then each cubicle will have to be fed from db. what isol should be at db?

I found a torrent of 17th and google helpfully publish every other page! lol. very frustrating!

Thanks both for feedback so far :O)

I would imagine that to cut down costs a bit you could have a 32 amp circuit supplying one "cubicle" and having 2 sockets off the one cable,as long as you are within your 10m from both sites. OR depending on the geographical lay out of the site,and the actual specs,you could probably just install two circuits ,5 on each,and use 16mm split in and out and have it fused at 80amp. You could terminate in one of those things inside a street light.don't know the name of them but they come with a bs88 fuse holder so you can put in whatever suits you.

You really should have a copy of the BRB regardless of whether you have done the update course or not.

This is not an installation that is as straight forward as domestic wiring.

To start with, you are not permitted to use a PME supply for a caravan or tent pitch.

Socket outlets no more then 20M from pitch,no more than 4 sockets per connection point etc etc.

Best get yourself down the bookshop:)

You really should have a copy of the BRB regardless of whether you have done the update course or not.

This is not an installation that is as straight forward as domestic wiring.

To start with, you are not permitted to use a PME supply for a caravan or tent pitch.

Socket outlets no more then 20M from pitch,no more than 4 sockets per connection point etc etc.

Best get yourself down the bookshop:)

Had a squint at a guide for campsites there.
Indeed sockets within 20m.
What they seem to be recomending is that your cpc or cable armouring
is connected to an earth spike,near the main dis board,ie the earth on your new consumer unit would have no connection with the suppliers incoming earth.However as due to overlapping resistance areas this may not be possable.So the alternative way is to,have the cpc/armouring connected as normal at the supply end,then if useing swa,make off into an insulated enclosure.Then,an earth spike has to be installed at each cubicle with the connection to the caravan coming from only this new spike.
There's mounting heights discussed and other things so yes good idea to have a look at the book.

Reply to Campsite Install in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock