Discuss Can 2 way radio trip RCBO'S in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I've not had this happen and we do use PMRs in switchrooms, but I do have experience of them interfering with various other kinds of electronics. If the RCBO contains an electronic amplifier it could be equally susceptible to RF interference as anything else.

Hi all,
Interesting point.

Would not the RCBO be tested for RF interference apart of the CE? So they should not be affected?

Best wishes,

Rex

I would say yes, A friend of mine has just fitted 485 double Rcd sockets on a huge job and every time someone goes passed them with the walkie talkies they trip out he has now got a huge head ache to deal with and is in talks with Time guard to get a solution.

I would say yes, A friend of mine has just fitted 485 double Rcd sockets on a huge job and every time someone goes passed them with the walkie talkies they trip out he has now got a huge head ache to deal with and is in talks with Time guard to get a solution.
All on the one RFC Glenn?

All on the one RFC Glenn?

It's in a huge logistics place , It has caused him some serious problems Trev. I do feel for him because they are holding about 300k back until he sorts it out.

Ps Trev it.s a Radial on 2.5mm:smilewinkgrin:

When I was an apprentice we were working at a dump and had this problem, the walkie talkies were tripping the rcbo, had to change the sockets to RCD sockets.

Yes, in a word. I have known some venues (often full of wireless gear these days) which have experienced 'odd problems' with 2way radios in the vicinity. I've never been around long enough in them though to go on a fact finding mission. I guess that if you happen to be stood INSIDE a ring of cable, with enough magnetic energy, its going to induce an imbalance - that's just basic physics.

It's in a huge logistics place , It has caused him some serious problems Trev. I do feel for him because they are holding about 300k back until he sorts it out.

Ps Trev it.s a Radial on 2.5mm:smilewinkgrin:

Is your mate a Electrical Trainee Glenn? Should be 4mm radial!

Thanks for all the replies.

The exact situation was as followed

"Today we energized a new circuit on the DB, communication between testers was via 2way radio. On powering the new side of the building we noticed the RCBO on the new side along with all RCBO's powering the original side tripped. This lead to investigation on the new circuits, after powering back on it happened again. It was then that the tester at the DB noticed that every time he pressed the talk button on the radio all RCBO's tripped."

Is your mate a Electrical Trainee Glenn? Should be 4mm radial!

Don't be daft its only 3 miles long I think the volt drop is just in.

Have herd several people that have used radios in close proximity to RCDs resulting in tripping, not had it myself but have had led head torches that would flash or light up when close to radios

Reply to Can 2 way radio trip RCBO'S in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net