Discuss Can a 40mm hole be drilled above or below a window lintel in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Please see picure. is it safe for me to drill 400mm hole above or below to the left of the window. obviously not through the lintel but I cant find anything on about drilling above or below. I'm guessing you can't but need some clarity ( as I'm sure the lintel has to Come over a brick and a half and the distance from the wall to window is only 2 bricks wide)

1478699405464-1544399330.jpg

Hopefully it really is a 40mm hole :)
If you are to the left and above the lintel the load in the brick / block is just as usual and should be ok to drill. Check carefully for other services ... Below the lintel the load from the window hole is absorbed and so I'd be more careful. What is that wall holding up?

Sorry! I mean a 100mm for a fan ( I've got 4 inch my head so I put 400 haha)
I was dubious about under so was going for over but still not sure. and above is another flat (2 storey flats)

It does not look like there is enough space to fit a 100mm hole and a fan casing in that space above and to the left of the lintel without cutting into the lintel.
The lintel will almost fill the space, is there space on the other side of the window?
Assuming the air flow is OK.

window lintel plus.jpg

Hopefully it really is a 40mm hole :)
If you are to the left and above the lintel the load in the brick / block is just as usual and should be ok to drill. Check carefully for other services ... Below the lintel the load from the window hole is absorbed and so I'd be more careful. What is that wall holding up?

Also where would be the best place I could look up this informataion as its not in the
It does not look like there is enough space to fit a 100mm hole and a fan casing in that space above and to the left of the lintel without cutting into the lintel.
The lintel will almost fill the space, is there space on the other side of the window?
Assuming the air flow is OK.

View attachment 34294

I can take the plaster off as he is replastering. if the bottom of the core drill bit is let's just say for arguments sake that it's half a brick above the lintel would that be OK ?

Which way do the joists run? Could you not drill through between two and fit an extractor in the ceiling?? You would have to consider fire and sound regs though if it's another flat above so that might be a no go.

Which way do the joists run? Could you not drill through between two and fit an extractor in the ceiling?? You would have to consider fire and sound regs though if it's another flat above so that might be a no go.

Yeah that would be a good idea but it probs be easier to go the other side. there's defo more room but it's just above a bath so would have to bring it down to 12v. IL just tell him it's not possible haha

A hole cut above a lintel should not be a problem, but below would be.
Above the bath is probably best so long as the fan is IPX4 then it does not need to be 12V.

So on the left would be ok if its above and 100% wont and don't lintel? (Im quite clear the electrical regs just not clear on this building reg) it's also got unfixed shower head from the tap so not worth the risk to put 230v

So on the left would be ok if its above and 100% wont and don't lintel? (Im quite clear the electrical regs just not clear on this building reg) it's also got unfixed shower head from the tap so not worth the risk to put 230v
fit a 240V IP44 fan (or better) above the shower. sorted.

IPX4 for a fan in zone 1 if water splashes likely then IPX5.

If it's a neatly core-cut hole it should leave some structural integrity in the surrounding brickwork so I'd say it would be okay.

Maybe use the rectangular ducting, that would give you an extra 40mm or so to play with. Although it could limit your choice of extractor possibly. I would knock some of the plaster off to locate the lintels position first to see what your choices are, if any.

IPX4 is for splashes from all directions. IPX5 is for low pressure water jets.

Just relaying reg 701.512.2 External influences
"Electrical equipment exposed to water jets, e.g. for cleaning purposes, shall have a degree of protection of at least IPX5"

A close showerhead could produce such jets. I assumed better to be safe and safety is the key.

Sorry if that wasn't helpful.

Reply to Can a 40mm hole be drilled above or below a window lintel in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net