Discuss Can a battery exchanger solve our EV problems? in the Electrical Engineering Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I personally think the EV concept needs a new approach. Instead of spending hours recharging the EV the user just swaps the discharged battery with a charged one. The exchange time would be les than it took to fill a standard car with gasoline.

You drive into a narrow lane just like you now drive into an auto carwash.

When you drive into this narrow lane a red light comes on. You engage your parking brake and then sit back while the exchanger exchanges your discharged battery with a charged one. Turnaround time would be about 5 minutes.carbattery2.jpg

I recall a few months back seeing a prototype battery change station along the lines you descibe, possibly in Finland or somewhere else in that area. As you say, the demo battery change took just a few minutes.

But if you'd bought the battery and it was new, would you want to risk swapping it for a clapped-out one. Might work if the batteries are all leased, then you would not care so much.

I recall suggesting this idea about a year ago…

Post in thread 'Call out a AA why don't you.'
https://www.electriciansforums.net/threads/call-out-a-aa-why-dont-you.199170/post-1758777

Which was then poo-pooed 3 days later with a good explanation why it wouldn’t work.

My new idea is generating electricity simply by the water pressure coming in the mains pipe.

Not flowing water, but just the head of pressure.
There must be a way.

That’s copyright Littlespark, patent pending. :)

I recall a few months back seeing a prototype battery change station along the lines you descibe, possibly in Finland or somewhere else in that area. As you say, the demo battery change took just a few minutes.

But if you'd bought the battery and it was new, would you want to risk swapping it for a clapped-out one. Might work if the batteries are all leased, then you would not care so much.

I like your idea.

One solution is a guaranteed battery life cycle.
BTW thanks for participating.

Reply to Can a battery exchanger solve our EV problems? in the Electrical Engineering Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net