Discuss Can a fluke T90 continuity tester be capable of confirming a new light fixture is good to go or not? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi guys, I have wired light fixtures and hard wired a lot of cookers in the past, been all fine.

I'm now training to be an electrician, the course itself is level 1 electrical installation.

I have just bought my first continuity tester which is a fluke T90 and wondering if this is good enough to test on light fixtures after wiring to see if it's good to go before turning it on?

Thanks for any answers.

answer is No. you'll need a MFT to perform both dead and live tests, including RCD trip times. then you need to complete installation certificate which entails software.
The T90 will check for Volts, and continuity, but for anything else as Per Tels post

hi pete. glad to hear about your recovery from your ex health problem.

you now have full permission to join the Borg Collective. :D:D:D.

hi pete. glad to hear about your recovery from your ex health problem.

you now have full permission to join the Borg Collective. :D:D:D.
Thanks for that Tel, any idea when the next cube will be coming this way?

i have it on reliable authority that it will make an appearance at Elex manchester next year... oops.misread the email it's not the Borg, it's NICEIC

Thanks guys. I've played about with it, well not literally 'played' but you know what I mean. I've tested it in a socket when circuit is live and got 230v. Tried the 2 pins of a b22 ceiling lamp holder while circuit is live, with switch on and off and got 230v when on and does nothing off.

When I try the terminals I get 230v both ways switch on and off, circuit is live.

With circuit off and placing the probes on terminals I think it just does the same as what it would when testing the fluke by putting the two probes together. I guess the current is just going through the fixture and making the fluke do the test thing.

basically, if you put the probes on a live circuit, the t90 will measure volts. L-N, L-E,N-E. on a dead circuit it will give an indication of continuity. it's basically a bang tester.

Thanks buddy. I was thinking I could use it after wiring the lamp fixture, circuit on but switch off, and see if it gives me 230v or continuity.

The terminals I were referring to were on a light fixture, turned off by the switch but the lighting circuit was still on by the main circuit board.

if the light as are wired 3 plate, the even with the switch off, 1 trminal will still be "live"

aplogosys for the beer spilling spellinge.

Thanks, yes it is 3 plate mate.

Was hoping I got the right kind of tester but nevermind. It's become more clearer what i've got and what I need now that i've been on here so thanks guys.

It will come in handy one day no doubt.

the main funshun od thr t90 is to prove dead or nit.

is ti fat fungres or beer/? ? tihink ill'goo two bed.

spicswervers tomnirrows/

Was hoping I got the right kind of tester but nevermind. It's become more clearer what i've got and what I need now that i've been on here so thanks guys.

Yes it will come in handy. You always need a voltage indicator or safe isolation.
I appreciate you are just starting out in your training, but reading section 6 of the regs may help with the required tests, and also Chris Kitcher does some clear informative videos on testing ..

chriskitcher - https://www.youtube.com/user/chriskitcher

It’ll be more than handy John,it’ll save you from pain and you can’t work on electrical installations without proving dead and safe isolation procedure so you’ll use it a lot

Reply to Can a fluke T90 continuity tester be capable of confirming a new light fixture is good to go or not? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net