Discuss Can a socket go on the front of a chimney breast over a gas fire? in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

sluggish

Hello folks, I've another question (sorry, feel a right useless twonk asking questions, but I did do a search before asking and the topic I found related to sockets on the side of a chimney).

Can I put electrical sockets over a gas fireplace (the fire is in use on occasion), around 1200mm or so above the top of the gas fire so I can mount a tv on my chimney? I've been really looking forward to having this done but my friend said it won't be possible due to regulations.

The wiring would run over the brickwork, and would be plastered over, rather than being brought in through the chimney void. Is this really against regs? Please say it ain't so (unless it is:D).

Thanks

Well, so far as I can tell it won't melt the tv or socket. I'd really like to have the wiring done in compliance with regulations, so from that view, would it still be ok to do?

Cant you tap into the socket circuit in the room above and drop the cable straight down the wall. RCD etc etc and job done. I have seen some horrendous examples of cables going in all sorts of directions up chimney breasts from the nearest socket to run Telly's not pretty but very dangerous. If the cable comes straight down the wall and the TV is mounted on the same wall then it is highly unlikely to ever hurt someone. I dare say that what you intend to do could be done in a compliant way.

Cheers...........Howard

the heat that comes where the tv will be mounted should not be that bad. as the heat comes out the front my chimney walll does not get hot in the lounge although the heat rises through the chimney into the bedroom. the main problem with the plasmas is keeping them cool so they don`t overheat and start popping things inside

Thanks for your replies.

The room above has been lovingly plastered and painted so I haven't the heart to touch that again.
I was thinking the wire could rise from the side of the chimney breast upto the desired height and then turn in toward the face of the chimney, thus avoiding the heat. Does that sound ok?

You can't just turn a cable if it is plastered into the wall.
Cables have to run horizontally or verticall between outlets the way out of it is to fit a back box and blanking plate were you turn the cable.

Reply to Can a socket go on the front of a chimney breast over a gas fire? in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock