Discuss Can anyone advise how I can cut wire and put inside wall? What do I need to buy in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Edanb81

DIY
Reaction score
Had a kitchen unit with under light.
Took down one unit and I have capped the electric and taped. How can I cut back the wire so that it can be pushed back into wall?
What do I need to buy? Easy job to do?

Attachments

• A53907B4-E45D-4B1C-BE80-F008C9ACD5EB.jpeg
    212.8 KB · Views: 25
  • A1873AAA-648C-46AC-8DA1-73DDFB986492.jpeg
    467.9 KB · Views: 25
It needs isolating and ideally removing you cannot just push it back into the wall live. Alternatively you can chase a box into the wall and fit a blank plate however this will leave a plate on the wall.

you can't do that. chase it out and follow it back to where it comes from and disconnect from supply. then remove cable.

It needs isolating and ideally removing you cannot just push it back into the wall live. Alternatively you can chase a box into the wall and fit a blank plate however this will leave a plate on the wall.
Thanks for advising, no bothered about plate on wall but how easy is this to do? I’m not an electrician

If its a switch live and neutral? then it might be possible to disconnect at the switch and just cut the cable out.

This will ideally need to be carried out by a qualified electrician

If its a perm live and neutral then i would be inclined to chop the plaster out and shove it up the ceiling in a suitable box

If you don't mind a blanking plate then just chase a box into the wall and make wires safe, you have to earth the back box too though, but you'll need tools you might not have so maybe get an electrician round to do it, shouldn't take long.

It's a call out charge for one hour from a qualified spark - i'd get them in. No offence but if you're asking what tool you need to chop off a cable it's probably better a spark handles this.

Whatever you do don't just shove it in the wall and plaster over it - in case of faults in the future (depending on how it's wired) that could lead to a right ballache for someone needing to test your system.

For my own learning, guys:

If it were me, and it's live + neutral, i'd either put it in a blanking plate or chase it back to where it's coming from and put it in a maintenance free box, somewhere accessible like under the floor up above where it's situated.

Good idea or no? Or can maintenance free boxes be put in inaccessible places?

Reply to Can anyone advise how I can cut wire and put inside wall? What do I need to buy in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net