Discuss Can anyone help me identify what battery I need? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm trying to get this old doorbell working. I bought some C batteries but they were too short for the slot. In the attached photo you'll see the exposed slot. The cover was lost a while ago so I have no brand name to go on.

I bent the contacts inwards to fit the C batteries but they didn't work (I can't rule out a wiring issue but the doorbell has worked in the past). I think the actual dimensions for a battery that would fit are roughly:
Height: 60mm
Diameter: 25mm (give or take 5mm)
And according to the markings inside the slot, each battery is 1.5V

doorbell.jpg

could always replace with di-lithium crystals. last forever till Scotty gets his knickers in a twist.

Could you use a small PSU? It'll probably run on anything from 4-12v as long as the current capacity is enough - little chance of it overheating as it's only used in short bursts! (Unless you forget your key on Friday night and have to wake up the Mrs.) You could probably get one for less than the price of three Ds!

Could be a "B" cell,still used in Europe.

Don't deal much with bells...there is a set of them,downstairs,in the servants quarters but we can't hear them...

can't get netflix. but just had my star trek fix. star trek 1,2,3,4, all at weekend on sky.

Reply to Can anyone help me identify what battery I need? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net