Discuss Can anyone help please sockets stopped working and tripping fuse box in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Daimc73

DIY
Reaction score
Hi guys just joined as I've got a household emergency.
Basically I've lost all plug sockets in 2 of my 3 bedrooms upstairs. I've unplugged everything from all sockets in the 2 affected rooms and have tried plugging one thing in and within a couple of minutes it's tripping the fuse box. I've tried this in all 5 double sockets.
Anything else I can try as it's my children's bedrooms that's affected

Got any pics of the consumer unit mate?.....and do you know what’s tripping mcb/rcd ?
If I plug a TV (I've got a few here and tried them all) it trips out. Only in the 2 rooms upstairs the other bedroom is fine

Attachments

• Can anyone help please sockets stopped working and tripping fuse box 20200201_091104 - EletriciansForums.net
    20200201_091104.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 31
What is tripping? Is it one of the switches with the yellow button (rcd)
If it is, turn off all the switches to the left of it, reset the rcd and turn them on one at a time. Giving 5 minutes between each one, until the rcd trips again. Leave that affected circuit off, the rest can be put back on.

there might be something still connected that cannot be simply unplugged... even an extension lead can be the cause.

Apart from that, we can’t really advise further until confirmation of which switch is tripping off

Reactions: DPG
What is tripping? Is it one of the switches with the yellow button (rcd)
If it is, turn off all the switches to the left of it, reset the rcd and turn them on one at a time. Giving 5 minutes between each one, until the rcd trips again. Leave that affected circuit off, the rest can be put back on.

there might be something still connected that cannot be simply unplugged... even an extension lead can be the cause.

Apart from that, we can’t really advise further until confirmation of which switch is tripping off

It's the switch to the left hand side of the boiler (in red) that's tripping

Ok. So its an MCB, not the RCD.
That means its an overload on the circuit, or a short circuit.
Is the rest of the installation as new as the consumer unit, or older? Any recent works in the house that might have damaged a cable? (eg lifted floorboards)

Reactions: DPG
Ok. So its an MCB, not the RCD.
That means its an overload on the circuit, or a short circuit.
Is the rest of the installation as new as the consumer unit, or older? Any recent works in the house that might have damaged a cable? (eg lifted floorboards)
Hi rest of installation is older as consumer unit was changed last year when we had our combi changed. Also there's been no recent work done in the house only the combi which is in opp end of the house

I'd switch everything off, prove dead then start taking off socket fronts and checking connections

My landlord came out yesterday plugged in tester in all effected sockets and had a green light on them all. He checked the board and said there was sum burn marks behind the mcb so changed it over with a spare one.
It tripped again so he said we're pulling to much power over 32amp on it (despite the same things being plugged in for god knows when) and we are awaiting a electrinan to call out today's to see what can be done as we've now been left with no power upstairs for 2 nights

Landlord is an electrician? Changing MCBs, and having a spare?:rolleyes:

highly unlikely you overloaded the upstairs sockets unless you got 5 or 6 3kW heaters plugged in.
I hope his electrician does the required tests and doesn’t just fob you off with excuses.
sounds like there’s a fault, and I’m betting on a damaged cable somewhere.
Come to think of it, you said the installation itself was older. How good are the sockets themselves? Any physically broken or outlets that are much tighter/ looser than others to plug in?

Reply to Can anyone help please sockets stopped working and tripping fuse box in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock