Discuss Can anyone help with a fire alarm query. in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

DT1991

-
Reaction score
Can anyone assist me in finding out if all cables involved with a fire alarm system must be FP or similar.

By fire alarm I mean sounders, call points, door holders etc.

Thanks.

If it says it in black and white in there then I will find it thanks.

Close the thread.

I would like to further my knowledge.

If its existing can detectors/Sounders be wired in T&E.

And I'm guessing all new must be FP or similar.

Edit by existing I mean before a certain year. Obviously not installed yesterday

Last edited:
years ago, T/E was allowed for dire alarm detectors as long as they were EOL monitored. that.s 25 years ago though. all now in FP or MICC,some specs even call for the super FP , called enhanced or summat. thank the devil i use wireless detectors.

If I carried out an inspection on an existing system I would strongly suggest it is replaced whether it once complied or not. Fire alarms are safety systems and are there to protect life and property.

Not an expert on fire but I would think any work your doing needs to be FP or pyro and if the existing wiring is T+E then record it and make recommendations to the customer in writing.

years ago, T/E was allowed for dire alarm detectors as long as they were EOL monitored. that.s 25 years ago though. all now in FP or MICC,some specs even call for the super FP , called enhanced or summat. thank the devil i use wireless detectors.
I remember doing fire alarms in 2/3 story communal areas with detectors & call point wired in T&E and the bell circuits in FP.

Yes that was the old standards whereby the sounder circuits were deemed most critical you could actually get red T&E.

Reply to Can anyone help with a fire alarm query. in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock