Discuss Can anyone please clarify..... in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello I'm currently employed as a maintenance electrician type - not paid as a spark but doing most of the spakies work!!
My question is - I want to start an NVQ and become a qualified electrician (installation houses/industrial/commercial conduit wiring ect) but jobs being like hens teeth within that discipline I'm stuck with the maintenance gig. If I start my NVQ within the maintenance sector can I, if needed or work turns up transfer that NVQ to installation. I don't want to start one NVQ and then be stuck with it or have to pay out for 2 NVQ courses I would like to be able to do a bit of both and complete the NVQ. Hope that makes sense!! Or does anyone know who to contact and ask the question? I've tried a local college and they're not too helpful they told me to wait until the buildings picked up!!

Thanks to all/anyone who replies back.

Hi Bob.

An NVQ 3 in maintenance is just that I'm afraid. If you wanted to gain a JIB card to the tune of electrician they would ask you for the NVQ 3 in installation practices.

If you are to be staying in maintenance then perhaps an HNC/D would be good for you to further your career???

Hello Lenny - man you really are a super moderator is there anything you don't know!! Thanks lots - sorry to be dense but what is a HNC/D and how will this help? And (pushing my luck now!!) if I do the maintenance NVQ am I still a qualified spark enabling me to do installation work (this was my bag until the work dried up)? Thanks big man.

Hi.

If you are thinking of staying in maintenance then an HNC in electrical & electronic engineering would suit you well I feel as the subject matter is tailored more to a maintenance engineer than an installation electrician.

If you do want to return to installation though then now is the time to act regarding the NVQ as it is all change next year and you will not be able to take the NVQ as a stand alone qualification.

See HERE

Hello Lenny - man you really are a super moderator is there anything you don't know!! Thanks lots - sorry to be dense but what is a HNC/D and how will this help? And (pushing my luck now!!) if I do the maintenance NVQ am I still a qualified spark enabling me to do installation work (this was my bag until the work dried up)? Thanks big man.

Higher National Certificate/Diploma

Reply to Can anyone please clarify..... in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net