Discuss Can anyone please identify this (socket?)? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

SeanAHL

DIY
Reaction score
Hi,

I have recently moved into a new place and can't identify this. It looks like some kind of socket. It occasionally makes buzzing noises.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Sean

Attachments

• 20201014_195114.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 53
Looks like a 3 way switch that has been damaged. I would advise against touching it! Have you any electrical paperwork for the property (he asked optimistically)?

Looks like a 3 way switch that has been damaged. I would advise against touching it! Have you any electrical paperwork for the property (he asked optimistically)?
No, there is no paperwork. It's a rental property and the landlord doesn't tend to fix anything. If you're right, what wiring would I expect to find behind the fitting?

Your landlord is duty bound by law to have the property's electrical system checked on change of tenant. Out of interest could you post a picture of the consumer unit.

Your landlord is duty bound by law to have the property's electrical system checked on change of tenant. Out of interest could you post a picture of the consumer unit.

Given the general state of the place and the amount things that are not working I doubt the landlord does have the electrical systems checked. I also doubt the 3-way switch would have been left like that if they had.

Attachments

• consumer unit.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 46
Given the general state of the place and the amount things that are not working I doubt the landlord does have the electrical systems checked. I also doubt the 3-way switch would have been left like that if they had.

I would tend to agree. What room is the switch in?

Also, it would seem you have no RCD protection, unless it is external to the flat.

I would tend to agree. What room is the switch in?

Also, it would seem you have no RCD protection, unless it is external to the flat.
The switch is in the living room, 8 feet off the ground, which is hard to reach in an emergency. There are no electrics (other than a non-working extractor fan) in the bathroom at least.

The switch is in the living room, 8 feet off the ground, which is hard to reach in an emergency. There are no electrics (other than a non-working extractor fan) in the bathroom at least.

Maybe one of the switches is for the fan?
Do all the lights work?

Maybe one of the switches is for the fan?
Do all the lights work?
Possibly, but since they are damaged I won't know unless I devise some sort of test. There is an alarm system and unit exterior to the wall with the extractor fan installed, so I might guess the switch was in line with the the fan and the alarm unit, possibly using two out of the three switches.

All the lights and electrical sockets work.

I would contact your landlord with your concerns.

I would contact your landlord with your concerns.
Thanks for your responses. Yeah, I have done. I'll give them a few days to respond. We can request the EICR and if necessary contact the council. Cheers

My guess, It’s not a light switch, it’s the fan isolator. 8ft off the ground)
It’s triple pole, so actually controls 3 switches at the same time for the fans’ live, neutral and switchwire.
should have one wide rocker switch.
Cheap enough for a landlord to replace.

It’s triple pole, so actually controls 3 switches at the same time for the fans’ live, neutral and switchwire.

Yeah makes sense now that we know the height of it and that the fan doesn't work. I wrongly assumed triple light switch with rockets smashed off.

OK. That makes sense.
https://www.google.com/search?q=tri...ECBUQBA&biw=1536&bih=758#imgrc=j0QRBAzVQYnSHM

It amazing what you can find when you know what something is.

What about the arching sound that comes and goes intermittently, independent of the bathroom or any other electrical use?

Reply to Can anyone please identify this (socket?)? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net