Discuss Can anyone recommend some books? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I've just passed my Part P and signed up with Elecsa, plan being to build up a one man band doing local domestic work. I've got a bit of experience helping out a spark mate in the past, and will obviously learn on the job as time goes on, but I realise there's a lot more to know about this game than what you get taught on the Part P course.

Anyone know of any books or websites I could get into to keep on learning?

Thanks.

1. IET Requirements for Electrical Installtion BS 7671-2008 incorporating Amendment 1 : 2011
2. On Site guide
3 GN notes 1-8 ( But just get the 3 for now, get the others as you go along)
4. Though it pains me to say it the NICEIC books espicially the "snag" ones are very good.

I'd recommend you read the document entitled "Part P of the Building Regs" - and get familiar with what is notificable and what isn't.

Then brush up on which certificates to use in which situations.

Don't mean to offend you but you shouldn't be doing any electrical work unltil you have the right qualifications. This is what is wrong with this profession, you get your part p and think you can do what an electrician has trained for years to do.
Sorry to burst your bubble and it's nice that you have some get up and go but you really need to focus on getting the right qualifications.

Don't mean to offend you but you shouldn't be doing any electrical work unltil you have the right qualifications. This is what is wrong with this profession, you get your part p and think you can do what an electrician has trained for years to do.
Sorry to burst your bubble and it's nice that you have some get up and go but you really need to focus on getting the right qualifications.

Why does he?

He has been deemed competent by a relevant scheme, rightly or wrongly he can now legally do more in domestic dwelling than what most industrial or commercial sparks can.

Now if the brown stuff hits the fan then that is something altogether different.

Why does he?

He has been deemed competent by a relevant scheme, rightly or wrongly he can now legally do more in domestic dwelling than what most industrial or commercial sparks can.

Now if the brown stuff hits the fan then that is something altogether different.
Seen too many dangerous installs by non electrician part P holders. The whole point of part P was to stop cowboys but all it's done is create more, but this time their legal.

Seen too many dangerous installs by non electrician part P holders. The whole point of part P was to stop cowboys but all it's done is create more, but this time their legal.

Not sure I agree with the last point.

The majority of builders I know, think they are sparkies and do the best to do the work themselves. None of them have any training, nor test kit NOR any intention to abide by part P.

They are a greater hazard than most of the fast track people IMHO.

Reply to Can anyone recommend some books? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net