Discuss Can circuits be hard wired in flexible cable? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello guys, Going to open a big can of worms here, but here goes. I'm having an argument with another electrician on site, and he is of the opinion that the is no regulation against the use of flex in domestic premises, for all circuits? I was always of the opinion that there was a regulation against the use of flex but I cannot seem to find one, in fact the opposite, when we looked and I cannot quote the exact reg now, but it says "as long as its suitable then its ok". I wondered if its something a simple a british standard marking, or is it literally due to the fact that twin and earth is a lot cheaper, nearly double the price for heat resistant flex, but surely you would recoup that in a couple of hours less work, due to the fact it would be easier to install. I also mentioned terminating it a the cutting of strands thus reducing surface area, but i suppose the reply to that would be "right tool for the right job" and your fine. Also perhaps T&E distinguishes a professional job from a DIY job... but hey ho. Tom

Last edited:
Re: Can circuits be hard wored in flexible cable?

Why can't it be done? Aslong as the right size cables are used, Erection methods and protection - Jobs a gooden in flex!

If you used flex you might need to bootlace ferrule all the terminations in the sockets and switches. If so then this would add to the installation times.

Very common in europe, but personally I would'nt
I think theres is or was a reg in particular LCM flexes

NO it's Not!! They use round 3 core cables with solid conductors. It may look like flex but it isn't!!

Not getting into this appliance flex debate again, i think my stand on this, is well known!! ...lol!!

NO it's Not!! They use round 3 core cables with solid conductors. It may look like flex but it isn't!!

Not getting into this appliance flex debate again, i think my stand on this, is well known!! ...lol!!

Sorry to contradic you but we did a trading floor in paris for Credit Lyonnais and the under for power was wired in flex

Normal appliance cord flex, ...that i don't believe, especially if you were saying ''underfloor''!! As they would be at least using double sheathed cables. What was the marked type on the cable sheath??

Last edited by a moderator:
So it costs more, is physically bigger for same csa, heavier, harder to buy in bulk, takes longer to terminate, is the wrong shape for a lot of JBs, the strands are easier to damage, and needs more support.

OK. And still a debate about why it is not more common.

Someone normally says it can carry more current at this point ...

Normal appliance cord flex, ...that i don't believe, especially if you were saying ''underfloor''!! As they would be at least using double sheathed cables. What was the marked type on the cable sheath??

Im not saying it was appliance flex im saying it was multi strand flexable cable which was specified and ordered by the french main contractor

Reply to Can circuits be hard wired in flexible cable? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net