Discuss Can EICR damage TV? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

joking aside.....jimmy_one_ball you said that you normally switch off at the sockets but leave the appliances still plugged in?. i dont know if somebody can correct me if i am wrong but if the sockets are single pole and not double pole types would the I/R test voltage not travel through the neutral into the appliance connected (unless polarity reversed!) even if the switch was off and the appliance was still plugged in?
Yes, but there is no circuit between neutral and earth so it would be impossible to cause any damage.The only way an IR test will cause damage to plugged in items is between live and neutral which we do not test on EICR.

I got hit for a £3000 food prep machine after PAT testing in the local school kitchen. Subbie was using my tester and IR tested it. No obvious electronics, no warning label from manufacturer. Electrolux divided on opinion on whether it would be damaged or not. (Design dept said no, testing dept said yes) Subbies insurance wouldn't cover it as I left it too long before bring up the subject, (1 month as we were waiting for the manufacturers report) I had to claim on insurance.
It does happen even with L-N to earth as the seaward primetest pat tester conducts all iR readings this way.
Sorry for your loss.....

Last edited:
Thanks for your thoughts fellas, very much appreciated. The cord set did have a cpc in it but didn't notice weather the earth pin was plastic or not, very good point though. Anyway, lesson learned, unplug unplug unplug! The occupant will get a TV repair man out at their own expense and consider his opinion before persuing it with my employer.

All the best lads

Well I would ask that if they are wiling to pay then you choose the person who is going to asses the damage. At least then you know they will be independent.

May be worth checking with the neighbors too to see if there was a power cut between your visit and when the damage was reported, as a surge could cause the damage but would look like it had been done by yourself.

Well,
Look up the voltage for both standard insulation tests of portable applainces (500V) and also the voltage for a class 1 flash test. The TV should be able to withstand twice of the peak of the mains voltage (678V) without problems. If your 500V megger did in the TV then it was faulty by design or manufacture!

Good point UKM, thanks for that, wish I'd thought of that at the time! If this TV repair man blames me then I'll throw that at him, thats a beauty, cheers!

Hi guys

Did an EICR last week in a council house and the occupant has complained to the council that during my testing I've damaged her TV! I did an insulation resistance test with line and neutral linked together, to earth. I normally do it at 250V then, if the reading is healthy, at 500V which I did in this case and recorded 140MegOhms. Also i usually switch off the sockets without unplugging the accessories but I can't actually remember switching the TV socket off on this occasion so it may have been in the on position. So is it possible to damage a TV at 500V with L+N together? I didn't test line to neutral seperately.

I went back and just checked the plug top and cordset and they are fine so maybe its an internal fuse that has operated. It's an LG LED TV and it's completely dead. Penny for your thoughts?

Thanks in advance

J.O.B.
the IR test you performed here is whats known as a `limited test`...so, did you agree this first with the person ordering the test..and any other interested parties?.....was it noted as such..in the `limitations` box?...

No mate but I did LIM the Line to Neutral test out on the Shcedule of Test Results assuming that is the norm for an EICR based on the idea that L to N is only performed on initial verifications, my supervisor agreed with that (thats in the GN3). The PAT test procedure from UKMeterman has sealed it for me, the TV should be able to withstand that!

Also I am performing 3 or 4 EICR's a day the moment and hundreds of other TV's have survived this procedure

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Can EICR damage TV? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock