Discuss Can i add another meter to a property???? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Can anyone help, my uncle has just asked me if i can add another meter to an existing meter, basically he owns a property with one single phase supply, then he converted his rather unusually big garage into a second home!!! now he is renting his property and is now living in his converted garage. What im asking is can i add a meter to his new converted garage from the existing supply in the house without asking Weston power to do so and would the meter i fit say a landis and gyr E110 be valid to the electricity company ???? I have no idea as ive never been asked to do it, obviously im fully qualified with NICEIC.

you can easily fit your own check meter or coin meter if needed.

using Henley blocks split the tails after your existing DNO's meter and install second meter which will feed the DB for the second home. best to feed the new house though a switchfuse or another appropriate overcurrent device.

you will need to install a main isolating switch after your existing meter now so the whole installation can be isolated at one point.

just need to make sure of your loadings now. as in theory you will now have two (smaller) houses on one supply, so surely two cookers, two showers etc...

your supply might not be up to it.

hope that helps

you can add as many meters as you want to, how you work out how to get the customer in that big garage to pay is a different matter, you will need to decide how much to charge them per unit, that could be a problem, or not depending on the tennant. if there is just one supply and the new meter is fed from it via a proper protective device then it is up to the initial electricity payer to regulate the payments, and decide how much and when to charge.

you can add as many meters as you want to, how you work out how to get the customer in that big garage to pay is a different matter, you will need to decide how much to charge them per unit, that could be a problem, or not depending on the tennant. if there is just one supply and the new meter is fed from it via a proper protective device then it is up to the initial electricity payer to regulate the payments, and decide how much and when to charge.

thats why a coin meter would probably be easier. saves the tenant being able to knock up any big bills lol

if you do split the tails to supply a second meter which I wouldn't do, ensure you add a switch before the tails so you have once isolator for the whole installation.

so guys what you basically saying because its one supply they cant use different suppliers??? the supply is in the tenants house and the new meter would be going into the property owners new garage which he is now living in. they must basically work out what they have spent on units and share the final bill??? Also how much would the DNO weston power charge to just put in a new supply in the garage to save all the hassle???

so guys what you basically saying because its one supply they cant use different suppliers??? the supply is in the tenants house and the new meter would be going into the property owners new garage which he is now living in. they must basically work out what they have spent on units and share the final bill??? Also how much would the DNO weston power charge to just put in a new supply in the garage to save all the hassle???

a new supply would be expensive.

its very simple to work out your tenants bill.

just take reading off your meter and subtract the tenants meter reading off your reading. then leaves you with yours and theirs units !

most people who let out anyway can charge what they want. so say its costing you 21P a unit. you can charge the tenant 23p a unit or whatever you want. making a bit of profit along the way.

As someone else stated there is a maximum amount that you can resell electricity for,you can fit your own meter but cannot have 2 different suppliers.basically the only way to do it is one person pays the bill from the supplier and they then subtract the amount used by the second meter from the amount on the main bill and charge this amount to the other person.If you want 2 seperate meters with 2 different suppliers then you need another supply and this will not be cheap.

I have no idea as ive never been asked to do it, obviously im fully qualified with NICEIC.

OK, You've had the answers to your querry.

But there is nothing ''Obvious'' about being fully qualified, because your registered with NICEIC!! Unless you think the 17th ed certificate constitutes being fully qualified!! lol!!

Reply to Can i add another meter to a property???? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net