Discuss Can I add extra lights to intermediate switch? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

dkane256

DIY
Reaction score
I'm trying to add extra lights to my hallway. There is currently 1 light with three switches to control it. The wires from the intermidiate switch run where I want to add the new lights.
Am I able to add lights to the circuit from these wires?

In my first attempt I cut one of these wires and just added the new lights to that wire (live, neutral and earth). The result was the exisiting light stays on permanantly and the new lights never turn on.

From looking at circuit diagrams, if I cut the other wire coming from the intermediate switch, is there going to be 3 wires plus earth? Is this the wire I would need to add the lights to? live neutral and earth going to the lights and the 4th com wire bypasses the lights?

It is unlikely that you can do what you want using just the wire from an intermediate switch.
Be very careful trying to figure it out from diagrams on the internet.
The only diagram worth looking at is one drawn by the electrician that installed it.
I suggest that you employ an electrician that has the knowledge and test equipment to sort this problem out for you.

Just because a cable is black (or blue, nowadays) it doesn't mean its a neutral. especially with switching arrangements.

Are you sure the switch is an intermediate? (yes.. you say 3 switches control the same light. Whats going to this switch? 2 twins by the sounds of it)

It MIGHT be possible, but it depends on how its been wired originally.

Where in UK are you, there might be a forum member local that can help out.

Reactions: DPG

Reply to Can I add extra lights to intermediate switch? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net