Discuss Can i carry out a periodic inspection without 2391 in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

sparks1653

The title of this thread pretty much says it all. i was asked to carry out a periodic inspection of a commercial building. i have got my 2330 levels 2 & 3, as well as 17th edition, and am also part P registered. however im not sure weather these qualifications cover it, or you would have to have 2391 in order to be able to take on this job.

Thanks,

as long as you are competent to do a PIR, no problem. it's just that having 2391 would prove your competence if there were to be any comebacks.

The title of this thread pretty much says it all. i was asked to carry out a periodic inspection of a commercial building. i have got my 2330 levels 2 & 3, as well as 17th edition, and am also part P registered. however im not sure weather these qualifications cover it, or you would have to have 2391 in order to be able to take on this job.

Thanks,

The key word is 'competence'

Are you competent to do a full periodic inspection on a commercial installation and do you have an above-average knowledge of BS7671:2008 ?

Traditionally, it's accepted that 2391-10 would go towards proving competence

Also think about Professional Indemnity insurance when you delve into the world of commercial periodic inspections.

my public liability insurance is up to £ 2m and includes inspection & testing on any type of building. thanks for the help, i have done a lot of inspection & testing before working for a larger company (before i became a sole trader) so i am confident in carrying out PIRs,

cheers,

my public liability insurance is up to £ 2m and includes inspection & testing on any type of building. thanks for the help, i have done a lot of inspection & testing before working for a larger company (before i became a sole trader) so i am confident in carrying out PIRs,

cheers,

I didn't mention Public Liability as you stated that you are 'part p registered' and that is a requirement of the schemes. I mentioned Professional Indemnity, big difference!

yep £60 public liability £165 pro.indemnity. over £100 difference.

When carrying out work, such as would be involved with electrical work. Public liability insurance will offer you cover against any injuries your work may cause to someone else.
When you are being paid for offering your opinion, such as would be the case when producing a report. Professional indemnity insurance will offer you cover against your opinion being wrong.

clearly put, spin. except public liability is not just about injury, it's also cover for damage to property. e.g. if you drill through a gas or water pipe.

Reply to Can i carry out a periodic inspection without 2391 in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net