Discuss Can I change this switch? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

groston

DIY
Reaction score
I recently had reason to look at the switch in my garage that controls the outdoor garage lights. This picture shows how the switch is wired and I haven't the foggiest idea of why a neutral wire runs to the switch. Note that this wiring was done by the house's builder about 20 years ago. (Note that the on/off note shows voltage measurements I took.)

Garage Light Switch.jpg
Simple question: Can I replace this switch with a two port switch, i.e., one that does not connect with the neutral wire, and expect the light to keep working?
Possibly trickier: If you could explain the purpose the the neutral wire, that would be great.

a 2 port switch will be fine, just park the spare N in a wire nut and leave tucked in the back of the box.

the N will come in handy if at some point in the future you want to use a smart switch instead or a sensor switch.

Are you 100% certain that is how it is configured and it is not three way switched and the white is not a traveler.

@westward10 has made a good point, if in fact it is a 3 way switch then by following my instructions above, when someone operates the other switch that controls the light, the new switch you install will not work.

Reply to Can I change this switch? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

can anyone please advise on where the wires go? My electrician installed a new cable ready for when I bought a security light. The cable as shown...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone I've moved into a flat and I've decided to replace the original electric switches and sockets with white ones. I've done them all...
Replies
Views
Hi I have an electrician over and he took over from an incompetent builder. The builder already installed the wiring but the electrician told me...
Replies
Views
Hi I want to add a light to my attic. There is a single switch on the landing that I want to change to a double switch and then use it to still...
Replies
Views
I hope someone can help with this as I'm stumped. My landing hallway ceiling (2016-build house) has two rose pendants which I've attempted to...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock