Discuss Can I do electrical testing with c&g 2365? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi all.

I got my Level 3 2365 a year or so ago and an now trading as a self employed electrician. I did my 18th edition recently.
I've have never been able to get straight answers on what an electrician needs to do certain tasks, maybe because of the 'competent person' definition, but I have a simple question:

Can I perform Initial Verifications, EICRs, Periodic Inspections etc and certificate them with c&g 2365?

I know the directly related qualification is 2391, but is this absolutely required?
I have been doing some EICRs and MEICRs recently.

Sorry for ignorance. Thanks for advice.

The short answer is; You can with successful test by and membership of a Part P organisation. There might be arguments for taking the 2391 but it's not a requirement. Part P is. Many hold the view that the Part P organisation's test are "make the tea and pay the fee". That was not my experience (4 1/2 hours Q&A, an installation inspection and demo' test) but it does seem to vary.

Speaking personally; I learnt more about fault finding a really difficult & and multi-layered issue from members of this forum than from the 2391-52. Still worth doing the C&G but it could be much better. The core text is little better than a basic guide.

Thanks Marti. I'll carry on but consider the 2391 - sounds like a good thing to have. I agree though, the basic fault finding techniques are ok but quite obvious. Its advice and insight when you're banging you head that really helps.

Hi all.

I got my Level 3 2365 a year or so ago and an now trading as a self employed electrician. I did my 18th edition recently.
I've have never been able to get straight answers on what an electrician needs to do certain tasks, maybe because of the 'competent person' definition, but I have a simple question:

Can I perform Initial Verifications, EICRs, Periodic Inspections etc and certificate them with c&g 2365?

I know the directly related qualification is 2391, but is this absolutely required?
I have been doing some EICRs and MEICRs recently.

Sorry for ignorance. Thanks for advice.
What's a MEICR??

Hi. I used to be a domestic installer with the NICEIC. Their rules do not allow a domestic installer to do EICRs under their scheme. Only an approved contractor is allowed to do EICRs.
In terms of whether you are qualified to carry out inspection and testing, yes of course you are, as this is a fundamental requirement of being a qualified electrician. However, a lot of background knowledge and on the job experience is an absolute must for anyone involved in inspection and testing. There's a big difference between being qualified and being competent in any particular aspect of electrical work. My advice would be to apply for approved contractor status. The fees are not that much more and you will be open to doing more types of electrical work with the full backing of your scheme provider.

Mini Electrical Installation Condition Report.... it's like an EICR...only smaller ;)
How do you do those then? where can you buy the blank Certs for theses reports then? what is the difference between the two reports?

Hi. I used to be a domestic installer with the NICEIC. Their rules do not allow a domestic installer to do EICRs under their scheme. Only an approved contractor is allowed to do EICRs.
In terms of whether you are qualified to carry out inspection and testing, yes of course you are, as this is a fundamental requirement of being a qualified electrician. However, a lot of background knowledge and on the job experience is an absolute must for anyone involved in inspection and testing. There's a big difference between being qualified and being competent in any particular aspect of electrical work. My advice would be to apply for approved contractor status. The fees are not that much more and you will be open to doing more types of electrical work with the full backing of your scheme provider.
IMO, many 'domestic installers' are not fully qualified electricians.
Had a case where a heating 'engineer'/plumber had his DI. When it came down to it, he understood SFA about the game.
If they've done a full apprenticeship or have enough experience and then do a course to become a registered DI, it's different.

I was going to ask the same. Before I joined a scheme I carried out Minor Works, Notifiable works via LABC, and EICR’s. How can the NICEIC ‘not allow’ a competent person from doing EICR’s?
They don't 'not allow it'. They just require it for someone to be a member of their organisation.

...i hear,on the grapevine...of course,i cannot be certain...but there are allegedly,persons out there,with the competence,even the quals,who are not schemed up,yet provide professional,in depth analysis on installations,and are even brought in,on fault finding,when others have failed...

Of course,it's only a rumour...?

Hi. I used to be a domestic installer with the NICEIC. Their rules do not allow a domestic installer to do EICRs under their scheme. Only an approved contractor is allowed to do

Their rules do not allow a DI to issue an EICR on NICEIC branded paperwork or use the NICEIC logo on an EICR.
They don't, and can't prevent anyone from actually doing an EICR.
When I was QS for a domestic installer registered company we just used the NICEICs green forms for doing an EICR (it was a PIR in those days though)

Their rules do not allow a DI to issue an EICR on NICEIC branded paperwork or use the NICEIC logo on an EICR.
They don't, and can't prevent anyone from actually doing an EICR.
When I was QS for a domestic installer registered company we just used the NICEICs green forms for doing an EICR (it was a PIR in those days though)

Yes this is what I was trying to say. Thank you for expressing it more clearly.

Reply to Can I do electrical testing with c&g 2365? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock