Discuss Can I do PAT w/o 2377? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

B

Balarizaaf

Hi guys,

Question is, if I can offer PAT testing(portable appliance testing testing - its annoying me so much, nevermind), with a course, which doesnt give me a C&G 2377 certificate. The course I want to undertake is organised by select:
SELECT - Scotland's Electrical Trade Association

but, I dont know if restaurants and hotel customers will approve my qualifications with only Select course. Could you please, help me out with this?

Many thanks,
Balarizaaf

I done the 2377 few years back a decent course there's a lot to it unfortunately in the real world it doesn't get done properly and just becomes a sticker exercise so yes just go for it every one else is

If you consider yourself competent and capable of doing PAT against the Code of Practice for In-service Inspection and Testing of Electrical Equipment then you dont need any formal qualifications and training.

However, should anything go wrong with an item you have PAT and the finger points at you then training and qualifications (e.g. C&G 2377) go a long way to showing your 'competency'. The issue then becomes more of a one off error because you made a 'misteak', rather than you were just totally incompetent to be doing it!

It is a piece of p. just do it.
Sorry, didn't notice it was you, just don't do it.

Wait... What?

The origin of my question was fear of having my qualifications doubted by customers. I would not be happy if customers would tell me they need some1 with 2377 c&g only, because this is a standard requirement from insurance companies in case of an accident... I currently service a lot of restaurants, property agencies, and laundries. I would like to offer them PAT testing also.

As you are working in Scotland and will have done a trade association approved course then you should be OK.
It is unlikely that hotels, restaurants and laundries would ever have heard of any training courses, not so sure about property agencies.
However if you state that you are qualified to undertake In Service inspection and Testing and can show a certificate demonstrating this is required I would not expect problems.
Insurance companies should accept that level of course as evidence of competence (whether that is true or not is another matter).

You could ask SELECT if it is equivalent to 2377?

Always makes me smile when i read threads like this one. The C&G 2377 is nothing more than a money spinning exercise, any fully qualified electrician should not need this made for dummies qualification. It's just another example of how electricians are getting shafted by every Tom Dick and Harry in the UK these days.

As for the person saying that it's a ''decent course and there's a lot to it'' beggars belief, as does the level 3 value attributed to this at most, 3 day numbty qualification!!

Have you done it then?
I did it last December. I thought it was going to be a waste of time, but I was wrong, by a long way.
Yes, many of the subjects are pretty basic, but there was a lot of things that I did not know, which is surprising after 15 years.
Classes of equipment- how many?
Are single insulated lights (such as xmas lights) legal/safe?
I could have made a guess, but it is nice to have this extra knowledge.
Of course, it depends on where it is taught, I went to ETS in Aston. they are the best teachers I know, and go into detail on all subjects, without being overly boring.
Yes, Level 3 is a joke, it should be 2 at most, but more likely 1. There are people who fail it, so clearly it is not idiot prrof.

Have you done it then?
I did it last December. I thought it was going to be a waste of time, but I was wrong, by a long way.
Yes, many of the subjects are pretty basic, but there was a lot of things that I did not know, which is surprising after 15 years.
Classes of equipment- how many?
Are single insulated lights (such as xmas lights) legal/safe?
I could have made a guess, but it is nice to have this extra knowledge.
Of course, it depends on where it is taught, I went to ETS in Aston. they are the best teachers I know, and go into detail on all subjects, without being overly boring.
Yes, Level 3 is a joke, it should be 2 at most, but more likely 1. There are people who fail it, so clearly it is not idiot prrof.

Come on PLEASE, ....tell us all what you did not know, that was worth taking this numbty course??
Are you actually saying that fully qualified electricians failed this course?? Did you know that the original purpose for this course was not for electricians, but for unqualified company designated persons, to conduct in-house PAT testing??

Somehow/somewhere along the way, the likes of insurance companies, councils and NICEIC, and the like, thought it would be a good idea that fully qualified electricians should need this numbty qualification and you lot, keen as always to devalue your hard earned meaningful qualifications just accepted it!!
Unbelievable!!!

At the end of the day you can PA-Test if you are considered competent regardless of silly money/profit generating courses... the only issue here is proving your worth in a court of law-- -its easier with a recognised qualification than without if someone puts the blame on you. I did the course and pointed out 3 issues with what they were trying to teach me and they couldn't reply, when i did the on line exam i showed them 2 flawed questions and even a practice question had a wrong answer as it was out of date ... IMHO ... i was teaching them more than they taught me...

I asked the tutor that we should be able to distinguish the types of flex used are good for the environment used i.e. HOR*** specific for their uses and how can anyone passing this easy course be expected to know these things without a good onsite experience.... He looked at me and said the course doesn't need to cover the points i expressed.... hmm so we have ill educated qualified persons saying the equipment may be suitable when in fact it been used in an environment its not designed .... no constructive answer and TBH they were pst off at the fact i pointed out the system they had going had a lot of flaws and was in essence about profit rather than education.

Reply to Can I do PAT w/o 2377? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock