Discuss can i do work in local shops if i am part p qualified? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

if the shop is a dedicated commecial premesis with its own supply then part p doesnt come into it and LABC will tell you to do one if you ring, so just do it and issue cert
issue arrises if for example it is a shop with a flat above both of the same supply, then part p applies and you either have to inform LABC or be apart of these blood sucking cash wanting membership schemes we are forced into, the scemes are the cheapest option by far unless you concentrate on commercial , cctv, aircon and security

If you are not part P already legally you have to inform building control. Having said that if you are pretty sure that you will pass I understand from different threads that it is not a fail on your assessment if you have not informed them. Perhaps others who have done the same thing can advise.

Chris

you have no need to inform niceic, niceic are a competant peron scheme to say you comply with part p of the building regulations, its commercial so dont even bother with them, get a pack of EIC from your local wholesalers for about 9 quid and issue a cert
everyone always assumes the nic are the masters of the universe and need to be told of everything, they are just a membership scheme and are only concerned with part p
and whist we are on the subject of part p I dont know why everyone pays the full whack and goes approved contractor for over 900 quid!!!!
If you go domestic installer for 450 it enables you to sign anything off domestically
anything commercial or industrial isnt part p so nowt to do with them
so really 450 quid and you can sign anything off in the UK legally
they just have this approve nonsense to squeeze cash out of you
just flippin sign it off and chill out
good luck
L

does anyone feel like saying:

If you are asking that question you are abviously not as qualified as you should be

go back to fitting kitchens and leave that work to real electricians!

I should hope not, it wouldn't be very friendly if you did!

Last edited by a moderator:
does anyone feel like saying:

If you are asking that question you are abviously not as qualified as you should be

go back to fitting kitchens and leave that work to real electricians!

I should hope not, it wouldn't be very friendly if you did!

I agree
people on here who have worked hard for their qualifications and status as fully qualified electricians should know the ins and outs of part p and membership schemes , so to all you 'under the radar' cowboys searching for tips on here ............................do one!!!

MODS: A thought

maybe it's posts like this that should be in the sparky pub, where only electricians can discuss their queries without giving joe bloggs step by step instructions on how to kill themselves or some poor bugger that has overpaid for shoddy work??

Thing is.....there are electricians mates and apprentices that learn from this site too. Like myself, I enjoy reading about the problem solving.

At the moment I am a 32 year old fella on minimum wage, but with the excellent training I am being given and the great support you get from people on here, I should be a fully sparky within 3 weeks of starting. Only joking more like 5 years.............

How you going to vet people?

Thing is.....there are electricians mates and apprentices that learn from this site too. Like myself, I enjoy reading about the problem solving.

At the moment I am a 32 year old fella on minimum wage, but with the excellent training I am being given and the great support you get from people on here, I should be a fully sparky within 3 weeks of starting. Only joking more like 5 years.............

good point well made there Chris. I dont have an answrr for you there though...

Well said! This is a great place for all the electricians to learn from others whether they are granddads in the trade, novice or cowboys; just an answer will suffice and there is need for teasing.

Cheers!

I have to say this forum is brilliant, being an electrical nerd like myself, I love it, and if theres anything you dont understand there is someone on here who does and will give info to help.
ive had lots of questions on here answered so thanks to all
and you too jason s mr super moderator
I bet you wernt a 3 week wonder

I'm not sure and I've probably read this wrong, but did someone tell this fella to avoid building control because they will say he can't do the job, go and buy some blank certs and just do the job anyway?

Don't do this. When the place burns down the 'favour' you did the shopkeep will not be repaid in court, I can assure you.

If you are part P and not with ELECSA/NIC etc then you must inform building control on each notifyable job, and pay their considerable fee. You ain't insured otherwise.

If you are part P then you aren't qualified to work in commecrial premesis, this includes shops, no matter how local.

If you are part P you can issue certificates, but unless you only do minor works you will have to join a scheme or, again, pay building control for every job you do.

It involves giving money to the council so they can put traffic lights in bloody stupid locations: there is no legal way around it. The govenment just loves that delicious money too much.

so if you dont understand the membership schemes and part p your not qualified? what a load of crap. ive recently qualified i served a jtl apprenticeship with a commercial firm working in mostly schools, im unsure on the membership schemes and what is required and what isnt, mainly because ive read many different views on this site. i was finding it hard to get a start so was thinking of setting up on my own, but didnt have much dealings with the paperwork side of things eg, what is required? who i need to join etc.? so came here for advice

:eek:
I agree
people on here who have worked hard for their qualifications and status as fully qualified electricians should know the ins and outs of part p and membership schemes , so to all you 'under the radar' cowboys searching for tips on here ............................do one!!!

Thats not very nice :eek: lol.....I do understand were your coming form but it's better that they come here and get some advice as you say from proper Electricans then to just wing it and make a fatal mistake...........Even proper Electrians need advice and as you can clearly see qualified Electrians are still confused abour Part P, certifying commercial, industrial is still a problem to loads>>>> read last two post above <<<<<<< We all have an option but that still doesn't mean were right.....we just have to ask our questions and raed the replies with respect.....but at the end of the day you just have to do what you think is right and may your conscience be your guide.........:)

Good question, I know of another forum that "vets" the sparks (and plumber etc), you have to send them a copy of your city & guilds.
When I questioned was it necessary (not too trusting me!) they decided I wasn't a spark and have never let me "reapply" despite asking

Jim

Reply to can i do work in local shops if i am part p qualified? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net