Discuss Can I drill anywhere on this wall? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Hdeep

-
Reaction score
Hello clever people
Hope you can help. We have our consumer box in our downstairs toilet, right in the top corner. I want to put up a small shelf above the sink, a mirror and a toilet roll holder on the same wall, but I'm worried about wires when drilling holes. I do have one of those live wire detectors, but it's temperamental (or I don't use it properly, probably).

Would there anywhere I could safely drill on this wall?

Hopefully I've attached a picture.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Can I drill anywhere on this wall? IMG_20180706_111836 - EletriciansForums.net

Hello clever people
Hope you can help. We have our consumer box in our downstairs toilet, right in the top corner. I want to put up a small shelf above the sink, a mirror and a toilet roll holder on the same wall, but I'm worried about wires when drilling holes. I do have one of those live wire detectors, but it's temperamental (or I don't use it properly, probably).

Would there anywhere I could safely drill on this wall?

Hopefully I've attached a picture.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

View attachment 43209
Get yourself something like these to check for pipes and cable buried in the wall
Cable, Metal & Stud Detectors | RS Components - https://uk.rs-online.com/web/c/test-measurement/electrical-test-equipment/cable-metal-stud-detectors/?cm_mmc=UK-PPC-DS3A-_-google-_-DSA_UK_EN_Test_Measurement-_-Cable,%20Metal%20%26%20Stud%20Detectors-_-DYNAMIC%20SEARCH%20ADS&matchtype=b&gclid=CjwKCAjwj4zaBRABEiwA0xwsP0R5tBXXr-KuYkAjeRGcccww3H3aC7ZvrVYobHLHUydW7aLYyqMAlBoCjqIQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

The cables should be run in what we call 'safe zones'

I'm sure someone will be able to post a picture describing where they are. I don't have one to hand to post up.

As Pete has posted, these units are useful. As although cables should only be run in these places. It doesn't stop cowboys ignoring this.

Looking at that board and the location of it. I wouldn't say the house is older than 15 years. Looks a lot like most new builds.

Thanks for your replies! House was built c2005 I believe, so were safe zones part of regulations then? I was thinking if I avoided those zones mentioned, and used my voltage finder thingy, I *should* be okay, but then I got to thinking about how many wires must be coming into this room and got a bit freaked out :grimacing: If anyone did have any links to a diagram of the safe zones, that'd be good to look at.
I don't know if it makes a difference, but this toilet is a lower ground one (three storey house).
Thanks again for your help.

Can I drill anywhere on this wall? {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

This may or may not work. I've tried to attach an image of the safe zones.

However if you just Google 'electrical safe zones'you get plenty of info.

What type of internal walls do you have. Block & plastered, block & dot & dab plasterboard or stud walls with plasterboard?

very likely to be water pipes above sink. they could be anywhere though. plumbers run pipes as if they were spaghetti. if your wall is dry-lined, drill carefully through the board, but only 1/2". then if ( with the drill OFF) prod to find the block. you can tel by the sound and at wat depth. generally the block will be about 1" gap from the board.

Okay stupid me, too busy focusing on electrics to think of water pipes too! Thanks for the advice. The walls have metal studs with plasterboard over.

It has always amazed me that a new build house rarely if ever has a log book of the build to go along with the sale

A picture book of the house skeleton with cable and pipe runs,the positions of joists and noggins etc
It takes very little effort and would cost a pittance
There again we don't do the simple and sensible in the UK

Okay stupid me, too busy focusing on electrics to think of water pipes too! Thanks for the advice. The walls have metal studs with plasterboard over.

It has always amazed me that a new build house rarely if ever has a log book of the build to go along with the sale

A picture book of the house skeleton with cable and pipe runs,the positions of joists and noggins etc
I totally agree! Took a while to figure out why I couldn't drill into any studs when we moved in.

In the mass built new builds this could show a multitude of sins that the builders would prefer to be hidden away:eek:

Reply to Can I drill anywhere on this wall? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock