Discuss Can I Get A 127 Volt Step Down Transformer? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

J BLAKE

Hi there,

Not all that knowledgeable on this kind of thing but I purchased four audio-visual appliances made in 1970.

All are identical apart from the voltage requirements.

One requires 117 volts - the other 3 units require 127 volts

Can I get transformers for such voltages?

Also what type of cable would I need for that socket pictured.

Various pictures attached.

Would appreciate any help, would like to get these units up and running. Thanks!

100_7059.jpg

100_7045.jpg

100_7046.jpg

100_7056.jpg

Yes, you can get step-down transformers to pretty much any voltage, and variable ones too. However it might be possible to switch the internal tapping selector or primary tap lead in the 127-volt units to 117, as they may well have suitable transformers but no external voltage selector. A look at the service manuals might reveal this. At modest load, a 230-115 or 120V step down transformer that is a little over-sized for the total wattage will give something approaching 125V anyway. The units probably won't notice the difference.

The power input cable is a bit of a special from Japanese equipment of that era and may be a little tricky to find. You might do well to post an enquiry on the Vintage Radio Forum http://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/ where we have lot of video-savvy people who will know the machine and maybe have accessories. On vintage equipment I am generally against replacing oddball mains inlet connectors but some would say chop it out and fit an IEC inlet. You might be able to fit one without butchering the chassis, by removing the US-style accessory outlet adjacent, but first see if anyone can spare a mains cable.

Good luck with these, I have some open-reel video decks in various condition (Shibaden, Sony etc) and have enjoyed getting them up and running. Not always an easy task! Might I ask what your intended usage is for them?

Yes, you can get step-down transformers to pretty much any voltage, and variable ones too. However it might be possible to switch the internal tapping selector or primary tap lead in the 127-volt units to 117, as they may well have suitable transformers but no external voltage selector. A look at the service manuals might reveal this. At modest load, a 230-115 or 120V step down transformer that is a little over-sized for the total wattage will give something approaching 125V anyway. The units probably won't notice the difference.

The power input cable is a bit of a special from Japanese equipment of that era and may be a little tricky to find. You might do well to post an enquiry on the Vintage Radio Forum http://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/ where we have lot of video-savvy people who will know the machine and maybe have accessories. On vintage equipment I am generally against replacing oddball mains inlet connectors but some would say chop it out and fit an IEC inlet. You might be able to fit one without butchering the chassis, by removing the US-style accessory outlet adjacent, but first see if anyone can spare a mains cable.

Good luck with these, I have some open-reel video decks in various condition (Shibaden, Sony etc) and have enjoyed getting them up and running. Not always an easy task!
I don't think these have ever been used. They were part of a house clearance. I obtained many lenses and video cameras of the period too. I have four of these in total and I am fairly confident they would work. My first time having such equipment so looking forward to running them.

Could you link me to a suitable transformer to use?

If they have never been used, I would seek advice from the forum I mentioned before applying power. One of the leading causes of damage to vintage electronics is applying power after a long slumber, when certain parts that fail through lack of use (e.g. electrolytic capacitors) cause knock-on damage if they are not checked and/or replaced first. Equipment of this age is on the cusp of this problem and whilst I don't know this particular model, from my experience of restoring vintage electronics I would personally be surprised if any NOS EIAJ deck worked straight out of the box. Helical-scan VTRs are inherently complex machines and cannot tolerate badly out-of-spec mechanics or electronics. Grease goes stiff, belts stretch, electrolytic capacitors go leaky, contacts go high-resistance, even if they are carefully stored. Someone who knows the model will be able to advise where the pitfalls are.

Having said they are available, I am struggling to find the off-the-shelf transformer model I was thinking of, and suspect they have been discontinued. I tend to make this sort of thing as I need it, or adjust the equipment as required, so haven't actually bought a ready-made one in a shop for a long time. A 110-115-230-240 autotransformer can be used 'upside down' with the common neutral at the 240 end and the 115 tap giving 125, although it would need derating as that end of the winding will be of lower current rating than the 110 end. Or a 230-10V stepdown can be placed in series with a 230-115, etc, but I'm not sure what your experience is with electrics so not sure if you prefer to get a ready-made unit?

In any case, the 127V units might be fine on 115 (particularly a 'high 115' such as from a transformer with the primary run at the top end of its tap range) and as I mentioned the 117V tap might be available internally with ten minutes work. In which case you might be able to use something like this: http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/autotransformers/0504199/

BTW how are you off for 1/2" tape?

If they have never been used, I would seek advice from the forum I mentioned before applying power. One of the leading causes of damage to vintage electronics is applying power after a long slumber, when certain parts that fail through lack of use (e.g. electrolytic capacitors) cause knock-on damage if they are not checked and/or replaced first. Equipment of this age is on the cusp of this problem and whilst I don't know this particular model, from my experience of restoring vintage electronics I would personally be surprised if any NOS EIAJ deck worked straight out of the box. Helical-scan VTRs are inherently complex machines and cannot tolerate badly out-of-spec mechanics or electronics. Grease goes stiff, belts stretch, electrolytic capacitors go leaky, contacts go high-resistance, even if they are carefully stored. Someone who knows the model will be able to advise where the pitfalls are.

Having said they are available, I am struggling to find the off-the-shelf transformer model I was thinking of, and suspect they have been discontinued. I tend to make this sort of thing as I need it, or adjust the equipment as required, so haven't actually bought a ready-made one in a shop for a long time. A 110-115-230-240 autotransformer can be used 'upside down' with the common neutral at the 240 end and the 115 tap giving 125, although it would need derating as that end of the winding will be of lower current rating than the 110 end. Or a 230-10V stepdown can be placed in series with a 230-115, etc, but I'm not sure what your experience is with electrics so not sure if you prefer to get a ready-made unit?

In any case, the 127V units might be fine on 115 (particularly a 'high 115' such as from a transformer with the primary run at the top end of its tap range) and as I mentioned the 117V tap might be available internally with ten minutes work. In which case you might be able to use something like this: http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/autotransformers/0504199/

BTW how are you off for 1/2" tape?
Thanks for the information. I will make a post on that forum you mentioned.

Regarding 1/2", I don't have any, just the take up reels. Never used one of these before so not sure what I need exactly. I know I would need a UHF to BNC / BNC to RCA adapter?

Well your main challenge may be to get usable tape. I don't know how the world reserves stand at the moment, there might be good stuff available if you look in the right place. But when I was playing with these a decade ago, I was having problems with binder hydrolysis (aka sticky shed) e.g. in some Sony V30H stock, the usual mould etc. I had a couple of tapes from my school that I really wanted to play but had to go through all kinds of charades with baking and re-lubrication before it would even run through the deck without gunking up the drum, and it is probably unplayable forever now.

Vintage electronics are fun, and I hope you get some great results from this kit. But you are jumping in the deep end with vintage VTRs, so tread slowly and carefully. It took me years to learn to resuscitate VHS decks that were then only a decade old, and I was already an electronic engineer. These are coming up to half a century!

Probably see you on the radio/TV forum.

Lucien has excellent advice here, especially regarding powering up this sort of vintage equipment after years of non-use. Also agree with his point of keeping the original mains sockets rather than bodging more modern types in.

A few years a go the place I worked at was clearing out some old CCTV equipment, and up on a high shelf at the back of some other stuff was a brand new Sony reel to reel video recorder, still in it's original box with manual, blank tape and everything! All completely unused and mint - it was bought as a spare and never used. I managed to blag it before it was binned!

Daz

Reply to Can I Get A 127 Volt Step Down Transformer? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net