Discuss Can I get my new bathroom extractor fan working with the old fans switch? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

K

kingston

I bought a new extractor fan but it didn't come with a switch, is it possible to use the switch from the old fan?

Please see all photos.

Fan, switch and isolator thingymebob(?)
20121201_114355.jpg

Close up of fan

20121201_114404.jpg

Wiring instructions for the fan

20121201_114412.jpg

Any help would be great!!

Thanks

I'm just trying to avoid calling someone out by using what I have.

I don't really know what I am doing, would you be able to advise how to wire it please?

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the quick replies by the way!!

I'm just trying to avoid calling someone out by using what I have.

I don't really know what I am doing, would you be able to advise how to wire it please?

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the quick replies by the way!!

Kingston I'm sorry but I doubt anyone can advise you how to wire this over a forum, in all honesty you could do untold damage to yourself, your family or the property and I for one in all faith would not want to do that.

Please call an electrician in, it will be an hours work for him and much cheaper in the long run. You have posted up York as your location and I'm sure there are lads on here local that would help you out

I assume it will be live all the time and the switch from the old fan, switched it between live and not-live.

Apologies for very stupid sounding responses!

Ok, will do! Thanks for the advice, I guess I just wanted to double check if it was a simple thing to do or not but it doesn't sound like it.

Will leave to the professionals!

Fans like this use two lives (switched and unswitched) and a neutral....to be honest you really need to get a spark in to check how the existing wiring is run...I would hate to give advice on this without seeing it!

Ok, will do! Thanks for the advice, I guess I just wanted to double check if it was a simple thing to do or not but it doesn't sound like it.

Will leave to the professionals!

that's the most sensible post i've seen all week. for the sake of £40 - £50, it's not worth taking chances as you have already said you don't know what you're doing. as the aussies would say " good on yer, mate"

Reply to Can I get my new bathroom extractor fan working with the old fans switch? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net